Chapter Seven

Immediately after Aaron left the office, Katrina stood up and began ransacking the place.

She checked the bookshelves that stood by the wall and flipped through every book she touched.
She came to his working desk. She checked the pile of files that lay on the desk.
His computer was also sitting on the desk. Luckily, it had no password. She clicked into it and began exploring it.
The clock ticked by, seconds by seconds. An hour passed by, then another hour, and another.
Katrina took three hours searching Aaron’s office.
Exhaustion overtook her as well as agitation. How could he hide clues so swiftly?
But there must be something. Anything. And she had to find it.
She didn’t believe that there wasn’t a way to expose him. She didn’t believe that she couldn’t find something in his office.
He spent more than half of his days here. Aaron was known as a workaholic for that. She must find a clue.
The last place that was left for Katrina to look was the drawers attached to his working desk. And she wondered if it was even going to be necessary.
Since she couldn’t find anything in all the areas, wouldn’t it turn out futile to check the drawers?
Yet, despite Katrina’s hesitation, she did check the drawers. They were many and she drew them open one after the other.
The first drawer only had piles of documents in it, so as the second one, the third one, the fourth one, the fifth one, and so forth.
Katrina sighed inside. Hunger had begun to build up in her stomach.
She held her grumbling abdomen and with little enthusiasm, she drew open the ninth drawer. It was the second to the last one.
And she rummaged through it, carefully.
She was on the verge of giving up when her palm touched something soft. A white paper. It looked different from the documents.
Katrina retrieved it and found out that it was only a photo.
But what was the photo of Aaron and her sister that also had her in it doing in one of his drawers?
Katrina narrowed her eyes and stared closely at it.
It was, no doubt, the photo of them when they were teenagers. Aaron stood closer to her sister, while she stood by the side, blending in with the background.
She could clearly recall those times. Those were the times when her crush on Aaron had kept her awake every night. She had confided in her sister and later on guessed that Aaron only liked her sister.
Katrina scolded herself for having those thoughts in the past.
Returning her attention to this photo, it wasn’t as normal as the way it had been initially taken. Her sister’s figure was painted with red ink.
The person that did that surely had murderous instincts toward her sister. And that person was Aaron.
Katrina covered her mouth and stifled her gasp as another realization came to her. Had Aaron been planning this for a long time since they were teenagers?
The doorknob turned and Katrina lifted her head.
With the photo still in her hand, she pushed the drawer back into its position and shot toward the couch.
By the time the door fully opened, Katrina had dropped the photo in her bag.
Although this wasn’t enough, it could also be termed as a clue.
“Sorry for keeping you waiting.” Aaron entered. He looked exhausted. “The meeting took longer than planned.”
“Oh.” Katrina cleared her throat and made a sound.
Aaron took off his suit jacket and dropped it beside her on the couch. Then he strolled toward the water dispenser and poured himself a glass of water.
And while drinking, his eyes surveyed the place and a slight frown formed on his forehead.
Katrina’s eyes followed his movements and she gulped at his sudden change in expression.
The office sure looked a bit messy, unlike the way it had been this morning. Katrina didn’t do a good job putting things back in their right places.
Aaron dropped the glass and glanced in her direction. Their eyes met and Katrina looked away, pretending to admire the ceiling.
“Kat.” he came and sat beside her on the couch and Katrina trembled inside.
A criminal was always alert. Had he noticed something? And what was he going to do?
He sat too close to her and Katrina had a hard time keeping a normal expression. The couch was also small so she couldn’t shift away.
“What have you been up to?” her lifted his hand and touched her chin.
This was it. Katrina’s heart sank. Had he finally noticed something?
“W-What are you talking about?” she stammered.
Aaron’s expression didn’t change and he paused for a few seconds before replying. “I mean what have you been up to? You were away for a long time. Any new interests? New hobbies?”
‘Oh’ Katrina didn’t know why she patted her chest in relief.
“There’s nothing new,” she answered. “My hobbies haven’t changed.”
“That’s good to know.” His gaze didn’t leave her. The strong eye contact was intimidating. “Because nothing has changed about me also.” Then he smiled. And Katrina could attest his smile to an evil grin.

Nothing had changed about him. Was he trying to pass a message?

Aaron’s fingers were still holding her chin and Katrina didn’t know when he leaned forward.
Their breaths mixed and she stared wide-eyed at him.
Before she could register it, Aaron planted a soft kiss on her lips.
Katrina was too shocked to react, and her heart struggled to break out of her ribcage.
“Nothing will ever change, Kat. I will make sure that never happens.”
His words were confusing and Katrina was muddle-headed. The one thing she was aware of was that she disliked his tone. And she disliked the way her body was reacting to him at the moment.
Even as he leaned forward again while Katrina sat like a statue, the only thing that kept her sanity in check was the image of the photo. Her sister’s image painted red. And maybe hers would be painted red next if she hadn’t seen and taken the photo.