Chapter Fifteen

“Aaron.” Katrina ran forward and knelt beside the bed. “I’m so sorry, I shouldn’t have fed you the poison. My action was uncalled for, I didn’t have any right to do that.”

Katrina’s sobs filled up the room, she couldn’t even look into his eyes. “I am so sorry, Aaron, and I’m willing to bear the consequences. But I have to tell you something. I want you to know that I love you. I’ve always been in love with you. And I think I’m- I think I’m-”
Katrina paused in her words. Was this even the right time to say it? And would the right time ever come?
Aaron must hate her more than anything else at the moment. He would no longer want to have anything to do with her. She might as well take this secret to her grave.
Katrina was still sobbing when she felt his hand on her hair. Aaron had sat up on the bed and he stroked her hair while using the other hand to help her up. He looked weak even as he did that.
“Katrina,” he called out softly. “I’m not mad at you,” he stated. “You thought I killed your sister, you had your reasons.”
“My reasons weren’t sound enough.” Katrina covered her face and sobbed. “I shouldn’t have had those thoughts in the first place.”
“Stop crying.” Aaron pulled her hands away from her face. “You know how much it hurts to see you cry.”
Those sweet words again. But now, Katrina knew they were coming from his heart. How could he be this generous?
“I’m also sorry for hiding a lot of things from you. I could see in your eyes how much you longed to know the answers to your sister’s death. I could see how much you distrusted me. I shouldn’t have kept it a secret, Kat. You deserved to know about the investigation.”
The investigation with the police.
Katrina sobbed when he mentioned that.
“And I also forgive you.” Aaron wasn’t done talking yet. “I won’t let anyone take you away. I didn’t lie when I said I love you, Kat. I always have, since the time I know the matters of the heart.”
He had always been in love with her since they were teenagers. All this knowledge was too much for Katrina to handle. She was truly a monster.
“Marrying Cassie was never my plan, but marrying you was. Even though it was too sudden, I promised to make you happy, Kat. I’m sorry I’ve failed you.”
Why was he apologizing? Katrina was the one that was supposed to be apologizing. She should be groveling still and asking for his forgiveness.

“Aaron…”

“It’s alright, Kat.” Aaron held her hands. “I know what you’re about to say. And I forgive you from the bottom of my heart. From now on, we will live happily.”
Katrina couldn’t believe her ears. Her vision was once again blurred with tears. But she quickly wiped her tears away. Aaron didn’t want to see her cry, she was never going to cry anymore.
“I want us to live happily.” Her lips stretched into a smile and she circled her arms around him. “Thank you, Aaron. I can never repay you.”
“I am the luckiest for having you as a wife.” Aaron sighed and hugged her back.
“Kat.” After some minutes, Aaron released her from the hug and frowned. “Is everything okay? You don’t look alright?”
Katrina ducked her head and blushed uncontrollably.
“Kat.” Aaron lifted her chin and gave her a suspicious look. “Is there something you wanted to tell me?”
Katrina chewed her lips and nodded hesitantly.
“I’m listening.” Aaron urged her on.
Katrina blushed once more and looked down. Then she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “Aaron.” she looked up finally. “I think- I think I’m…”
“You think you’re what?” Aaron asked softly.
“I think I’m pregnant, Aaron,” she whispered. “We might have a baby soon.”
Aaron’s lips parted in shock. He looked stunned and speechless.
“We’re going to have a baby?” he breathed out.
Katrina nodded and beamed. Although she hadn’t conducted the real test yet, the signs were evident.
“Who is going to have a baby?”
All of a sudden, the door opened with a bang. The couples barged inside, each looking confused.
“Us.” Aaron’s smile was infectious. He drew Katrina close and hugged her.
“Katrina is pregnant!?” Katrina’s father exclaimed.
“This isn’t a prank, right?” Aaron’s father looked more shocked than anyone else.
And both women hurried forward and peeled Katrina away from Aaron’s arms. They made her turn around and surveyed her body from head to toe.
“It is the truth.” Katrina’s mother gasped.
“Goodness gracious, she is pregnant! We’re going to have a grandchild!” Aaron’s mother jumped and clapped her hands.
And just like that, the couples' anger turned to joy.
They hugged Katrina continuously and the smile never ceased from Aaron’s face.