Chapter Eleven

The subsequent days were filled with ache. Ache in Katrina’s body and ache in her heart.
Knowing that she was committing a great mistake, her eyes were opened all night long. Also, Aaron never gave her a chance to rest. Her body had become like that of a puppet. He would use her whenever he wanted and however he pleased.
And she never objected, she didn’t feel the power to.
It was as if a spell was cast upon her.  As if she had been rewired to be at his beck and call.
Aaron’s sweet words were never-ending, and before Katrina knew it, she would find herself in his arms. Every morning, she woke up in his embrace.
This was wrong, this wasn’t how things were supposed to be.
If her parents didn’t want to be involved, if they wouldn’t help her bring justice to her sister, then it was only left for her to fulfill that mission herself. She had to take matters into her own hands.
“You’re spacing out.” Aaron was sitting across from her, eating his food. “What are you thinking about?” He gave her a curious look and smiled.
Katrina would rather prefer his stoic expression.
“Nothing,” Katrina forced the words out in a whisper. “I was only imagining…” she trailed off.
“What were you imagining?” Aaron dropped his spoon and gave her his full attention. “Would you mind sharing?”
Katrina sighed and also dropped her spoon.
She couldn’t share what she was thinking with him unless she wanted him to make her death faster.
And she opened her mouth, hoping that she could come up with a lie quickly before he got suspicious.
Then his phone rang instantly and Katrina was saved the hassle.
Aaron picked up his phone from where it sat beside his food on the table. He narrowed his eyes as he watched his phone’s screen, and after darting her a look, he muttered an excuse and stood up.
Katrina’s eyes followed him as he made his way to the living room.
And she could hear his voice as he spoke on the phone.
The same conversation, the same tone.
It was a conversation similar to the one she had recorded.
He made these kinds of phone calls frequently nowadays. Sometimes in her presence, and sometimes, she would walk in on him having one.
Aaron didn’t seem to care about that. He must have realized that she was aware of his phone calls, but he showed no care at all. Perhaps, because he was confident that Katrina was no threat to him.
He could talk about how he had murdered her sister in her presence, and he could also talk about how he had planned to murder her in her presence.
Katrina lost her appetite and pushed her food away. And as she waited for Aaron to finish making his phone call, speculations rose in her head.
Her parents were the only people that could turn him to the authorities. They were the only ones that possessed that power. Even if she did that, she had no tangible clues. The phone recording and the photo wouldn’t possibly be enough.
“Your food will turn cold.” Aaron returned and sat back on his chair. “You have to eat, Kat.”
Katrina bit her lips and stared down at her food.
“You haven’t even eaten a spoonful yet.” Aaron went on. “If it isn’t to your liking, let me know so I can prepare a new one.”
“There’s no need for that,” Katrina declined his offer. “I- I’ll eat.”
And she picked up her spoon once more and forced the food down her throat.
Somehow, Katrina had grown used to eating Aaron’s meals. Since the day that she cooked for him, Aaron never allowed her to cook again.

He used the excuse that he didn’t want her to enter the kitchen and burn her hands, but he obviously was afraid of the amount of spices she could use.

“Kat,” Aaron called out to her after some seconds. “About Cassie…”
Katrina paused instantly when he mentioned her sister’s name.
“She has twenty-five percent shares in the company,” Aaron continued. “And added to the one from your fathers, she has a total of thirty percent shares.”
Katrina was aware of all of that but she didn’t know where Aaron was going with his words.
“And as you know…” Aaron paused for a few seconds. “As her husband, her shares goes to me after her demise.”
Katrina parted her lips. She didn’t see that coming.
“Now, a stakeholders meeting will be held in the company next week and your sister’s shares will be transferred to me.” Aaron didn’t break his gaze from hers. “I wonder if you would like to attend.”
While Aaron spoke on, Katrina’s mind was somewhere else. Her sister had a total of thirty percent shares, that was a lot. And her sister’s shares being transferred to him, what did all that mean?
A bad premonition built up in Katrina’s heart and as so many assumptions began clicking into place, she didn’t want to admit that she knew where this topic was going.
“I know your shares are not as much as your sister’s, Kat.” A slight look of disappointment flashed past Aaron’s eyes. “If I’m not wrong, I think they’re only twenty percent in total with the one from your father.”
His calculation was right and Katrina was surprised that he knew that much.
Even though the family had many collaborations together, some information was so sensitive to even let on to a close relative.
Katrina nodded in agreement with his words.
“Do you have other assets your parents are not aware of?” Aaron popped up the question. “Maybe something that can boost the number of your shares.”
Katrina’s apprehension increased.
She didn’t like his expression as he inquired about her financial status. She didn’t like that look on his face.
And if her instincts were right, she had finally found her last clue. The clue she didn’t even know she needed.