Chapter Ten

When Katrina left her parent’s place, she drove aimlessly around the city.
The thought of going back to Aaron’s house terrified her.
Her tears didn’t stop falling. The tears of grief and how she had no power.
If her parents didn’t take any action against Aaron, it was only a matter of time before she also lost her own life.
But would she allow that to happen?
However, Katrina didn’t care anymore. With parents like this, she might as well be better off dead.
She could put an end to her own life if she wanted to. And she wouldn’t. She couldn’t now. Not when she hadn’t avenged her sister yet.
By the time Katrina returned home, the sun had turned red in the sky.
She entered the bedroom and found Aaron sitting in front of the TV.
Katrina’s body was weak from crying too much. And the sight of Aaron only numbed her heart.
Aaron glanced in her direction, his stoic expression was back on.
And he didn’t ask where she went to or where she was coming from. He only glanced at her for a second before he resumed watching the TV.
He was unusually quiet and Katrina couldn’t explain herself. She didn’t want to.
She made her way upstairs and dropped her bag on the bed. And her thoughts went back to her parents’ words. Those words brought tears once again to her eyes.
Even if it wasn’t her sister that Aaron had murdered, Katrina couldn’t live with him. She couldn’t spend her life with a murderer.
“Is anything wrong with you?”
Aaron’s deep voice sounded in the room and Katrina yelped.
She spun around only to see Aaron standing by the door with both hands folded across his chest.
When did he enter? Had he followed her upstairs without her noticing? Had he been watching her cry?
Katrina looked down and quickly wiped away her tears. Inside the dimly lit room, she hoped he didn’t see those tears.
Aaron didn’t wait for her response. His footsteps approached and he stopped in front of her.
He stared down at Katrina and she couldn’t understand the expression in his eyes.
Then he brought up his hands to her cheeks. He felt her wet cheeks and used his thumb to wipe her tears.
“Kat.” he sighed. “You haven’t recovered well. Aren’t you aware of how dangerous it is to roam in the city?”
Katrina was stunned by his action. It wasn’t what she had expected. He didn’t seem to know that she had gone to her parents.
“If you needed fresh air, you could tell me and I’d take you wherever you wanted.” His eyes softened. “Seeing you cry hurts a lot. Did your wound open up?”
Aaron was once again confusing her, but Katrina was wise enough to know that his words were only a facade.
Despite that, she found herself leaning into his embrace. She found herself imagining that the care was real. Her parents had broken her heart and maybe what she needed most at the moment was solitude even though it was in the arms of her sister’s murderer.
The one person who, without a doubt, was waiting for the right time to get rid of her too.
And Katrina wondered what he was waiting for. She wondered why he hadn’t eliminated her existence yet.
“Shhh. It’s okay, don’t cry.” Aaron hugged her, pressing her cheek to his chest. “Tell me whatever you want and I will make it come true.” He patted her back and coaxed gently.
Tell him what she wanted? Katrina sniffed.
Was he going to put himself in and willingly admit that he was her sister’s murderer if she asked him to?
“Aaron.” she lifted her head and stared up at him. “Why are you doing this?” she asked.
Aaron stared back at her. His eyes didn’t shift in emotion.
He might have understood the meaning behind her question, but simply chose to ignore it.
“Some things in life need to be cherished beyond measure.” he cupped her cheeks with both hands. “You are more important than anything, Kat. You are my wife, I won’t treat you less than you deserve.”
And those words were catalysts to Katrina’s building emotions. If only they were true. If only things were normal. Then she would be the happiest woman right now.
What her parents never gave her, his words had fulfilled that. His promise. It was everything she would like to be true.
And just like that, Katrina was lost in the fantasy that everything was real. For once, she wanted to believe that his sweet words were real.
When  Aaron leaned forward this time, her heart didn’t beat in fear. It beat in anticipation. And her body responded, she didn’t even try to control it.
And just like that, his lips found hers and fireworks exploded.
He explored her mouth while his hands traveled down her body.
In no time, Katrina was vulnerable. No fabric was left on her body. None was left on his either.
He didn’t hold back, and she couldn’t either.
And as Aaron lowered her onto the bed and their body became one, amid the pleasure was the regret that expanded in her heart.
And right now, Katrina loathed herself more than anything.
If this was all part of Aaron’s plan, If he had perfectly woven this around her, then Katrina was afraid that she had fallen right into it.
As much as the night brought pleasure to her, so was the pain. The pain of doing the wrong thing. The pain of being unable to control herself.
Maybe she wasn’t at all numbed to the emotion after all. Maybe those feelings from her childhood never left. Maybe those memories were still intact and she had never completely removed him from her heart yet.
And maybe she had been secretly wishing for his night to happen.
And wasn’t she worse than him right now? Wasn’t she the biggest monster?

Giving her body to Aaron was uncalled for.