Chapter Twelve

If Aaron’s reason for murdering her sister was to acquire her shares in the company, was that why he didn’t waste time to marry Katrina because he had planned to acquire her shares too?
As Katrina finally got a grip on the reason behind all this, she wasn’t only mad at Aaron. She was afraid. And she was heartbroken.
Wasn’t it petty of him to stoop to that level?
He didn’t only marry her sister because of the family business, but he also married her to take over her wealth, his same reason for marrying Katrina too.
Katrina had deemed him evil, she had even gone ahead and thought maybe her sister had offended him in one way or the other.
But the contrary was the case. His only aim was to take over their shares.
Was this his motive from the moment he entered their lives? Were his parents also behind this?
They knew each other since they were kids, he couldn’t have possibly come up with this kind of plan at that time, alone.
And now, Katrina knew she had to act fast. At least, before the day came.
She didn’t tell Aaron the truth. She had denied that she had other assets.
But she wasn’t sure that her father wouldn’t spill that information during the stakeholders’ meeting.
And maybe this was the last thing Aaron needed before he got rid of her. He needed to know how much she had gathered first, and how he was going to have access to her wealth.
Telling her parents Aaron’s aim would be futile. Katrina couldn’t waste her time doing that.
And even though her next action could land her in jail or even worse, she couldn’t wait for that time to come when Aaron would place a knife on her neck. She might as well get rid of him first by herself.
There would be consequences, but she would at least avenge her sister.
Three days passed by while Katrina tried to find the perfect opportunity to execute her plan. To hell with her pending job. She must put an end to all these.
These growing feelings in her heart were getting stronger. Every day, Aaron would do or say something to remind her of how much she had loved and adored him in the past. And how much she wished that would be possible again.
Just like the previous nights, last night had been ecstatic. Katrina no longer considered the guilt. As she didn’t have any power over his advances toward her, she knew she had to stop bothering about that, even though she knew the repercussion would be great. The repercussion that she wasn’t even sure hadn’t happened yet.
Katrina held her abdomen, hoping the slight discomfort was from the strange meal combination she took a while ago.
She walked toward the window and pulled away the curtains to see if Aaron had returned yet.
This morning when they woke up, he mentioned something about traveling. He would spend two days on the business trip and when he returned, the shareholders' meeting would hold the next day.
Well, Katrina was never going to allow that to happen, because everything was going to come to an end, today.
She walked away from the window and checked out the meal she had spread on the dining table, hoping the dishes wouldn’t lose their steam.
She had prepared them painstakingly, and she didn’t put much spices. She wanted him to eat it all to the last spoonful.
One moment, Katrina was sitting at the dining table staring down at the enticing dishes, and the moment after, she was pacing in the living room.
When Aaron left for the company, he told her that he would return home to take some things before he embarked on the trip. And she hoped more than anything that he would stand by his promise.
Katrina bit her fingernails and tried to push down her anxiousness. She didn’t stop pacing until the beeping of a car and the sound of the gate opening reached her ears.
She sprinted toward the window and pulled apart the curtains. Aaron’s car appeared in her view. The car parked just outside the parking lot, and seconds later, he emerged from the back area.
Katrina left the window and hurried to meet him in the doorway.
“You’re back.” she faked a happy expression. “I thought you weren’t going to keep your words.”
“Impossible.” Aaron stared at her dotingly. “I would return only to have another glimpse at you.”
Katrina’s cheeks heated up and she quickly shook her head to snap herself back to her senses.
“Guess what?” her eyes lit up as he drew her into his arms. “I made a nice meal as a farewell present.”
“Really?” Aaron circled his hands around her waist and gave her a doubtful look.
“Yeah.” Katrina nodded. “And don’t worry.” she smiled. “I didn’t put too much spice in it. It is perfect to your liking.”
Aaron’s expression relaxed and he gave her a slight peck. “That is so considerate of you, Kat.” he laughed softly. “A good meal will remind me of you all the way to my destination.”
His words were once again doing strange things to her and Katrina struggled to keep her emotions in check.
She stared into Aaron’s eyes, hoping to glimpse the guy she had once fallen for.
“I’ve served the food already.” She cleared her throat and said, “Can’t let it lose its warmth, right?”
Aaron nodded in agreement and he followed her directly to the dining table.
And as Katrina served him the food, her heart drummed heavily. And she hoped he couldn’t hear her heartbeat.
Aaron glanced at his wristwatch then picked up his spoon, while Katrina poured the juice into a glass. Her hands trembled and she carefully dropped the glass in front of him.
She sat beside Aaron and watched as he ate. She also glanced at the wall clock now and then.
And in no time, Aaron began coughing. He coughed and held his chest.
His hand reached forward to grab the juice glass, but Katrina grabbed it instead.
“Kat.” Aaron stared at her in shock.
Katrina let out a sad chuckle and poured the glass content onto the floor.
And as Aaron attempted to pick up the water bottle, Katrina reached for it first.
“What- What is the meaning… of this,” Aaron said between bated breaths. His cough increased and his eyes changed color.
“Aren’t you aware by now?” Katrina stared straight at him, her pretense was no more. “It is poison.” she shrugged. “I poisoned the meal and I hope…” she paused and sighed. “I hope you’re not going to survive it.”
“Y-You…” Aaron’s next words were interrupted by the large amount of blood that spilled out of his mouth.
Nausea hit Katrina instantly and she looked away.
“You poisoned the food?” Aaron struggled to sound coherent. “Why?” he asked.
“To avenge Cassie’s death.” Katrina was losing her resolve. “And to protect myself from your evil plans.”
Aaron’s eyes widened. He patted his chest frantically. He tugged at his necktie. He even tried to stand up but slumped back on the chair.
A cord snapped in Katrina’s heart, seeing him in this state and she tried hard to hold back her tears. “I am aware of all your intentions, Aaron. I know everything you did and everything you’re trying to do. You killed my sister and you’re trying to kill me too. This was the only choice you left me with.”
And the only choice her parents also left her with.
The surprise didn’t ebb from Aaron’s expression even as he seemed to be fighting the pain.
“I would never do that, Katrina,” he denied her accusation. “Your sister,” he coughed. “I didn’t kill your sister.”
“And you…” Aaron continued after another long cough. The red liquid was flushing out too much. Even his skin had begun to change color. “I love you, Katrina. I would never dream of ending your life.”