Chapter Six

The next morning, Katrina woke up and found the bed empty. She sighed in relief that her nightmare hadn’t again become real. Last night, Aaron had slept on this bed with her, and she didn’t catch a wink of sleep until the wee hours of the morning. She didn’t dare blink.
She left the bed and after preparing for the day, the first idea that came to her mind was where to search next.
Because, literally, she had no idea. She had ransacked the rooms already.
Katrina ambled out of the bedroom, her ankle seemed to be healing rapidly, and she went downstairs to find Aaron in a business suit, ready to go to work.
He didn’t even take breakfast, he didn’t wait for her to cook.
Well, he’d be a fool to do that. Katrina scoffed and watched him from afar as he pressed into his phone.
Last night, she not only cooked for him, she also attempted to feed him a lot of spices.
But, somehow, he only took a spoonful. And after that, he told her he was full. Katrina was disappointed.
She tiptoed to conceal her presence, and stood by a wall where she could see him but he couldn’t see her.
And she listened on as he placed the phone on his ear. Whoever he was conversing with, Katrina had no idea. But a phone call had led her to know what he had done. And this phone call, she was sure, must hold some clues.
Just as Katrina suspected, Aaron’s phone call wasn’t normal.
She covered her mouth and held herself back from doing anything that would reveal her presence, while Aaron spoke on the phone.
“Certainly, no traces are left.” His voice was low and calm. “Only someone clever can do such a perfect job.” He chuckled.
Even though Katrina couldn’t see his expression, the chuckle sounded almost like a sinister laugh, and she shuddered.
“No one will suspect anything.” Aaron went on. “Cassie is dead, she had it coming.”
Hearing him mention her sister’s name, anxiety clutched at Katrina’s heart.
She pressed her palm hard on her lips. She was about to lose her resolve, but she couldn’t.
“Kat.”
She jumped when Aaron suddenly appeared by her side.
The phone was still in his hands. Katrina was lost in her thought, she didn’t hear his movements.
How did he know that she was hiding here?
“You don’t look alright.” Aaron touched her cheek and stared into her eyes. “Is anything the matter?”
“N-No, nothing.” Katrina swallowed. “I was just- I thought you have left for work.”
Aaron didn’t appear as if he had caught her listening to his conversation. He simply shoved the phone inside his pants pocket and dropped his hand.
“I’m off to work.” He took a quick glance at his wristwatch. “I made breakfast, you can warm it up.”
Katrina broke their eye contact and looked away. If she didn’t look at his face, she would be compelled less by those emotions.
“I heard fasting is great for health,” she whispered. “I don’t want to eat anything today.”
“You’re fasting?” Aaron asked.
Katrina nodded, still avoiding his gaze. And she could hear him sigh.
And Aaron didn’t say any word further. It wasn’t like he cared.
He bid her goodbye and turned for the door.
And as much as Katrina hated it, she knew she had to continue in her quest. There was nothing else left to search into in the house, what if there were clues in his office?
Therefore, she hurried after him and grabbed his sleeve.
“Aaron,” she called out. “Can I come with you to the office?”
Aaron turned around and faced her. “You want to go with me?”
“Yes.” Katrina gave him an innocent look. “The house is big and scary, I am scared to stay here alone. I want some company.”
“Alright.” Aaron’s expression didn’t change. “Whatever you say, Kat.”
Katrina released his sleeve. He seemed to be in a hurry and she limped after him.
Inside the car, she shifted away until she was pressed to the car’s door.
They were both sitting at the back of Aaron’s car while his driver drove them to the company.
And Aaron was focused on his phone. He would look up and glance at her every few minutes, while Katrina pretended to be engrossed in admiring the scenery outside.
They were greeted by employees when they stepped inside the company.
And from the looks most of the employees gave her, Katrina knew what they were thinking.
While some of them stared at her with pity in their eyes, a majority of them gave her surprised and disapproving looks.
She was shameless enough to marry her late sister’s husband, now she was even following him to his workplace and flaunting their relationship.
That was what a majority of the employees were thinking.
Katrina had her mission to focus on and not be disturbed by others’ opinions.
She ignored those looks and followed Aaron to his office.
The place was neat with no paper out of place. His office was on the top floor of the company, and the floor-to-ceiling glass windows overlooked the vast city.
“Feel at home.” Aaron gestured to the couch when she remained standing in the middle of the office. “You can call my assistant’s attention if you need anything. She is just right outside.”
Katrina knew that of course. They just walked past his assistant and she didn’t like the lady. She stared at Katrina with disgust, and Katrina didn’t need to guess what was going on between her and Aaron from the way she interacted with him.
“I have a meeting to attend in five minutes.” Aaron stared at his wristwatch as he spoke. “I will be back as soon as possible.” he stared at her and his gaze softened. “To keep you company,” he added.
Katrina didn’t want him to return soon. She wanted him to spend hours.
A new hope rose in her heart when she learned of his meeting. This meant that she could have more time to herself.