Chapter 8 - Beetles, Buttons, and Bickering

The early morning of the second Sunday of term finds Percy hidden in the back corner of the library, buried under a pile of Herbology tomes. He's researching different poisonous plants and their magical properties. It was easy to get a pass to the Restricted Section from Professor Sprout, who was always happy to indulge his curiosities, especially when it had to do with Herbology.

He's in the middle of taking note on the use of Fanged Geraniums in Skele-Gro when Penny and Oliver come bounding around the corner of the nearest bookshelf. Pursing his lips, he puts his hearing charm on, making a mental note to ask Professor Sprout about its medicinal use for inflammation and skin conditions — something its muggle counterpart is used for — and looks up at his two best friends.

"May I help you?," he asks, raising an eyebrow at them as he sets his quill down, pausing to push his glasses back up his nose from where they've slipped down.

He notices the sigh of, presumably, relief they both let out as they sit down across from him, being careful not to move his books. Percy has a set order about things and they try not to disrupt it whenever possible.

He stares at them, waiting for one of them to speak first. Usually Oliver cracks first but surprisingly this time it's Penny who does.

"Percy."

"Penelope."

"Will you- Okay, I hate when you do that, for the record," she says, holding up her hand. "Anyway, we know you're researching right now," that makes him furrow his brows, "and we totally get that," Oliver nods at this, "but will you please come outside with us?" Penny looks ready to convince him, and knowing her she's most likely thought this through and planned for every possible answer he can give her, a rebuttal in place for each one.

"I suppose," Percy says after a moment of deliberation.

"Okay, hear me out-," she begins, only to stop when Percy's words catch up to her, "Wait what? Yes? You will? You're not pulling my leg, are you?" The last part she adds with a weary frown.

"Yes, I will go outside with you. No, I am not 'pulling your leg' as you put it."

Her and Oliver cheer, getting a loud 'ahem' of disapproval from Madam Pince who is now standing next to his table. They both mutter apologies as she turns to Percy, "these two aren't giving you any trouble, are they?"

"No, ma'am," Percy reassures, smiling slightly.

Madam Pince is a thin, short-tempered woman overly protective of the Library's books and, as such, quite unpopular amongst the other students. With her all black wardrobe, hooked nose, dark hair, and snappish personality, she reminds Percy of Professor Snape.

She hums slightly, casting a suspicious glance at Oliver and Penny before looking back to Percy. "If they do, you just be sure to let me know. I'll be keeping an eye on you two. First sign of trouble and you'll be banned from my library. Understood?" They both nod rapidly in agreement.

Madam Pince is quite possibly Percy's favorite person in the entire castle, aside from Oliver and Penny, of course.

She glances at them one more time before she turns and walks away, back towards the front of the library where the rest of the students are.

Percy turned back to his friends to find Penny blushing and fanning herself with her hand and Oliver looking at her confused. "Penny, are you quite well? You look a bit flushed."

Her cheeks turn an even darker red as she nods, looking like she's just had an epiphany. It takes Percy a moment to realize why and when he does, he buries his face in his hands to stifle his laughter.