Chapter 1: A chance encounter

The gentle beam of sunlight caressed his face waking him gently. A dewdrop trailed a blade of grass and landed in a silver chalice atop the window sill the faint sound made his ears twitch .he was a light sleeper, and he felt as though he had to be. After the accident, he tended to stay alert at all times of the day, even at rest. Stephen let out a small yawn and sat up in his bed.

The man begrudgingly put on his white garments, Tying the cloth around his waist tightly. "come on you can do this..." whispering as he walked out of his room. The place around him was elegant yet Cultural. The mahogany-colored floors were made with diamond-shaped tiles, With plain brick-colored walls. A pleasant aroma then tempted his nose, curious he Followed it to the dining room.

"Oh, Stephen!" A woman spoke.

The dining room was crowded with other students, and the noise of their chatter and clanging cutlery caused him a headache. He groaned and chose to ignore the woman beside him. Swiftly, he found himself a spot, left the boisterous group, and headed back to his room. On reaching there, he placed his food on a small table and took out a book - a worn-out leather cover held on for dear life. There was a faint mark on the surface that read "Stephen's Thoughts, " and a delicate red ribbon tied around it. He smiled gently as he stroked the cover. As he finished eating, he heard the sound of wind chimes - a reminder that it was time for class. he heard the sound of wind chimes - a reminder that it was time for class.

As the cicadas screamed in the background, most students finished their training for the day. Stephen observed as the sun's golden rays melted into a fiery red and eventually faded into darkness. His eyes sparkled with delight as the stars gradually twinkled, each one displaying its light one by one. He gazed at the night sky for a while, appreciating its beauty. Stephen then prepared himself, lifted his hand, and created a small portal to sneak books from the library. He picked up a few books, including "Introduction to Arcadia" and "Elemental Magic." Suddenly, one book caught his attention, and he swiftly plucked it off the shelf before the portal closed behind him. The item appears to be quite old. Its cover is reminiscent of silk and has golden-plated corners.

Additionally, there are runic symbols etched into it. A tingling sensation ran through his fingers as he slowly opened the book. Entranced by its pages he read on, consuming its words.

"Stephen... Stephen...STEPHEN!"
The apprentice looked up to find the ancient one standing at his door arms behind her back."I didn't see you at this morning's lesson"

"w-what?" Stephen's voice cracked.

"It's morning...." She looked down at the book trapped in the man's grasp." did you get enough rest?" she smirked.

"uh- yeah"

"Oh?"

"Yeah I'm fine..."

"Child...get some rest" She turns to walk away "I know I can't stop you from the path you're going down"

"What are you talking about?"

"Have fun" She closes the door behind her.

Stephen looks down at the golden book, quivering as he placed it down. "what the hell is wrong with me?"

The apprentice stood up instantly feeling exhausted and slumping down into his chair. He then tried to stand again, getting to his feet and walking to the training grounds.

"Stephen! Come over here" Karl yelled.

"Hm?"

"We were doing battle training today"

"oh, I'm sorry..."

"Training is over for the others, but I would like to spar with you regardless"

Stephen walked over and began wrapping his hands. about the ancient one... just how ancient is she?"