Chapter 4: Loki's Garden

"I see purple cotton candy clouds and pink skies, rivers of sweet nectar flowing. I watch the dance of the fae and hear them speak. The gentle breeze makes me dream, and I feel the soft grass beneath my feet. Your eyes are honest blue, and your skin is as tender as a peach. I pray that you speak my name and keep it safe. Wrap me in a warm embrace that I will long for always." Strange read Loki's assignment, it made him wonder what this meant for someone. Strange read more. "I have a deep longing in my heart for something that I believe I don't deserve, and someone who I didn't earn. The shattered mirrors prevent me from smiling and the reflection in my eyes is not truthful. The once beautiful pink petals have withered away, but can they be replanted? May we gown inside my garden."

"Hello, Loki?" Doctor Strange called out. The prince's long ear twitched in response. He was sitting by his fireplace, dressed in a black gown that shimmered gold. The dress had a slit in it, and he wore pants of the same style. A necklace made of rose quartz also lay across his neck."Loki...Master"

"Yes, Professor Strange?"

"This poem you wrote is beautiful" he saw the prince shift in his seat, sinking into his couch as Strange walked over and sat beside him, Loki crossed his legs appearing uncomfortable. "May I ask what this is about?"

"Isn't it obvious? It's about how I feel" Loki's voice was soft, almost inaudible. 

Strange's voice matched his tone. "Loki, do you want to talk about them?"

"Talk about what?" he opened his hands, tapping his fingers, closed them then opened them over and over again. The servant watched their hands, and gently placed his hand on their thigh. Loki glanced over and sighed. "I feel like I don't deserve anything, anyone-"

"Loki, that's not true. I have had the privilege of working with you for several months now, teaching you Midgardian magic and English. Your dedication to learning is admirable; you persist despite experiencing frustration until you succeed. Moreover, you possess a kind and gentle nature, which only adds to your exceptional character. You deserve much more than what you're being given credit for." he could see Loki turn red and hide his face.

"Stephen, Father wanted me to tell you something"

"Loki"

"Something about the Bifrost"

"Loki..."

"Like you can go home or something."

"LOKI! Stop trying to change the subject-wait I can go home?"

"yeah......"

Strange furrowed his brow and crossed his arms "You're lying aren't you." Loki admitted to it and looked away from his servant again. Loki told Stephen that he doesn't like being the focus when it came to well, him. "Loki...is this poem...about me?"

"w-why would you think that?"

"I mean...my eyes are blue, I don't think this is about your family, because of the pink petals. and you really only spend time with me..." Strange watched as Loki's mouth lay a gap, hands curled in a fist.

"I spend time with other people, I've had tons of lovers, I'm not a virgin or anything. I don't need....you." Loki stopped talking realizing Strange wasn't really buying what he was saying. Loki let out a huff and walked out of his room and of course, Strange followed."do you have to follow me?"

"That's like my whole job" He kept walking until he was outside. He trailed a path for a while until he came across a giant stone wall covered in fresh moss, with a wave of the hand the stones opened to reveal a giant garden. with large planters and stone brick paths twisting a turning into each other. Pink Camiellas as far as the eye can see. They soon came to a spot where the grass had stopped growing and Strange watched as the prince sat down in that very spot.

"Promise to keep a secret?" 

"mhm"

"I'm very...lonely Stephen. when father gave you to me I was so happy" He stared at the flowers around him. "It meant that I didn't have to find someone to talk to, someone to share things with...You were just there and I finally had someone to spend my time with." Loki clutched his clothing. "Stephen...You can keep calling me Loki in private If you want to. you can talk to me as if I were someone close to you, I want to be someone close to you, Can I be that even?" Stephen just stood there dumbfounded, Loki was laying their heart out to him and he had nothing to say, he could go back and forth with them normally but this, this was different and he felt so bad, seeing Loki stare back at him with desperation in their eyes. Stephen crouched down close to them and pulled Loki into a tight hug. Loki reciprocated holding on tight. "Can I?"

"Of course Loki...ill be here, you can tell me anything."

"That poem was about you..."

"I assumed so" Strange squeezed tighter. "It's a very pretty poem. May I keep it?"

"Of course and I wasn't lying about the Midgard transportation. To get more learning material."

"Oh?"Strange pulled out of the hug, hands still on Loki's arms. Loki then explained that Odin wanted Strange to go to Midgard for extra material then he trailed off and started to talk about his garden. Strange just watched as he spoke, The light dancing in their eyes. His eyes were glued to them, watching every movement as Loki spoke. It went on like this for hours. with a maid checking in from time to time to bring food and blankets. By the end, it became a makeshift picnic, with the both of them talking about Life on Asgard and how Loki would fare on Midgard.

"Midgardian is so strange-oop I mean weird" They both chuckled, and Loki took a sip of tea. Looking down and waving his hands.

"Aww are you okay? why don't you look at me with those beautiful eyes of your-" Strange looked away himself.

"What? You think my eyes are beautiful?"

"Uhm"

"I'm being honest with you right now so be honest with me okay?"

"...You're Eyes are really pretty, almost mesmerizing, such a beautiful shade of green...and your lashes just tie it all together so long and luscious" He caught himself, cleared his throat, and tried to change the subject. Loki had other plans.

"Do you like my hair too?"

"huh..well of course I do it bounces when you walk, and it shimmers in the sunlight absolutely gorgeous. "Loki let out a squeak and wiggled his ears.

"thank you, Stephen...I really appreciate your kind words."

"eh uhm..uh no problem You work so hard on your appearance, someone had to say something."

Loki smiled and they stared at each other for a moment before Loki spoke again. "You've been training with Thor right?"

"Ah, yeah I have...we did some multiple opponents training, and I did really well, I was able to talk them all out cleanly" Strange unsheathed his magical claws they had gotten longer and denser, and they were decorated with swirling magic inside.

"Your claws, look gorgeous" Loki exclaimed." How...fascinating"

"mhm" The two decide to wrap up their little makeshift picnic, Strange collected the dishes and opened a portal to the kitchen, waved through the portal then closed it. The two laid down some more blankets and lay down beside each other.

"You'll stay by my side and protect me... no matter what right?" Loki yawned, ears twitching again.

"Always Master"

"...Please call me Loki, Just Loki..." He closed his eyes.

"Alright, Loki. I'll protect you... Always"