rite of passage, lo'ak

the highly anticipated season had finally come around once again—the annual, collective moment in which the entire omaticaya clan came together to celebrate the time-honored induction of their youth into the world of adulthood. over the course of several grueling months, the young na'vi had been put through their paces, overcoming demanding rites of passage and thus earning their coveted standing within the tribe.

the lively and uproarious ceremony was more than just a celebration. it signified a crucial stepping stone in the journey toward becoming accomplished members of the na'vi society. and this year, lo'ak found himself among those transitioning from childhood into adulthood, moving one step closer to joining the ranks of his higher-ups.

he'd finally be treated like an adult, he'd finally get to exercise free will outside of his parent's strict and demanding orders. he'd get to celebrate with all of his warrior friends and probably consume way more drinks than he should, but that was all part of the adventure. he'd be a free man, and he couldn't fucking wait.

but as thrilling as the entire experience was panning out to be, there was this nagging sensation at the back of his mind—something that clouded his thoughts like a veil of unease.

it was customary for each young na'vi to be adorned with intricate body paint before attending the celebration—a powerful symbol that represented their transformation from childhood into adulthood. it was akin to casting off one's previous life and stepping into a new, mature version of themselves.

each unique design would act as a shroud, allowing the individual to leave behind their former innocence and emerge reborn, strong and prepared for all of life's challenges.

while most of his peers had already secured mentors, close friends, or even lovers to skillfully adorn their bodies with intricately painted designs for the ceremony weeks before its commencement, lo'ak had nothing. despite all his accomplishments thus far, he'd yet to find someone to help him present himself in a manner conducive to the age-old tradition. which was a big problem.

lo'ak had been struggling with the idea of asking you to paint him for the upcoming ceremony for weeks on end. it was something that weighed heavily on his mind, but he just couldn't figure out how to approach such a delicate yet meaningful conversation with you. embarrassingly, he found himself losing sleep over it all, tossing and turning in his hammock, replaying scenarios in his head, trying to find the right words that didn't seem to exist.

you and lo'ak shared practically every experience and milestone throughout your lives together. you went through the same rites of passage as lo'ak to be welcomed into the tribe as warriors. given your close bond, it was natural that lo'ak would want to be the one to paint you for the ceremony as well. unfortunately, just as with asking you, he stumbled when it came to bringing up the actual topic. it was going beyond the casual interaction of friends—this was a formal event, steeped in tradition and significance. the whole situation left him feeling overwhelmed with stress and anxiety.

but still, lo'ak understood the weight of the tradition: it was all about deep connections and honoring those who had played an essential role in your life. last year, he recalled watching kiri as she painted neteyam for his coming-of-age ceremony. as per tradition, this year neteyam painted kiri, a symbol of their familial bond and reciprocal support. it made sense, but at the same time, there went two of his potential options. tuk was way too young to know what she was doing, and it'd just be straight-up embarrassing to have to ask either of his parents to do it for him. that would defeat the purpose of the entire ceremony; he was supposed to be an adult now, no longer reliant on his parents.

there was no doubt in lo'ak's mind that you'd be the perfect partner for the adornment process. you weren't just a passing acquaintance; you were one of lo'ak's closest friends. your friendship was strong enough to withstand the toughest storms. but still, lo'ak couldn't shake the feeling that asking to paint each other would somehow cross a line between friendship and something much more intimate. it'd be embarrassing. and what if you had chosen someone else already? what if it was some other guy? lo'ak's stomach dropped at the thought.