Part 10

"Hey. Can we talk?"

It was the next morning. I had slept over Amanda's, on her couch in the basement. I had to sleep in whatever spot I could find.

I opened my eyes to see Grayson standing above me. His hair was messy, and he wore a sweatshirt and basketball shorts.

"Oh, hey. Sure. Is everything okay?" I asked him.

"Everything is fine. Just wanted to ask you something." he said.

"Okay." I said, my hands already getting shaky with fear, "Can I brush my teeth first?"

"Yeah, of course."

Does he know?

I grabbed my makeup bag, which had my toothbrush, and went into the bathroom in the basement. The whole time I brushed my teeth, I just had this gut feeling that he somehow knew something.

When I came out of the bathroom, he was sitting on the couch I had slept on. I sat down next to him.

"What's up?" I asked, as casually as possible.

"Are you a lesbian?" he asked me, "Not that I care if you are!"

Oh. Fuck.

At that moment, I felt like I could have thrown up.

"Why do you ask?" I somehow spoke.

"I saw you, last night. Outside with that girl Vivienne. I wasn't spying. I had gone outside with Stephanie to smoke, and I saw her kiss you." Grayson said to me.

"It was on the cheek." I said.

"Okay. My bad. Still though, are you gay?"

I looked at Grayson, "I think."

Grayson nodded, "Alright. No biggie. I'm not going to tell anyone."

In that moment, Grayson's casual reaction to the situation what exactly what I needed. I felt tears come to my eyes, and couldn't stop them from spilling out.

"Why are you crying?" Grayson asked me.

"Y-you have no idea how heavy this weighs on me. Every single fucking day. Just to hear that you could care less...it makes me so relieved." I said, with a sad laugh.

"It's really something that bothers you a lot?" Grayson asked me, his tone gentle.

"It has since I was so young. You have no idea."

"You're right. I had no idea. You hid it well." Grayson said, "Well, I support you no matter what. I know mom would too. There's just one problem here..."

"Dad." I said, and Grayson nodded.

"He's such a good dad in many ways, but in other ways he's a prick. When it comes to his views." Grayson said.

"It always stuck with me- when he jokingly said that he doesn't mind "the gays"- just as long as no one in his family was one of them." I said.

"I don't get why he would care. Wouldn't he be glad you can't get pregnant?" Grayson rolled his eyes.

"You'd think." I said.

"Well, your secret is safe with me." Grayson said, "Stephanie didn't even notice. She was too drunk. Does anyone else know?"

"Olivia. I told her a while ago."

"Wow. She's such a loud mouth. I am proud of her for keeping this secret."

I laughed, "She knows how important this is."

Grayson looked at me, "So you and Vivienne...?"

"It's brand new." I said, "We're...friends."