Chapter 75-Riley

Once we get home, my parents sit on the couch to watch television. I know I will likely not hear anything else from them tonight, so it is now or never.

"Caleb, let's go upstairs. I need to talk to you about something."

He looks slightly uneasy but agrees. Once we get to my room I shut and lock the door. I turn my tv on for background noise in case my parents try snooping on us.

Caleb sits on my bed and puts his hands on his knees.

"What's wrong Riley? I can tell something is bothering you. If it is about me embarrassing you today, I am so sorry. I had no idea I wasn't supposed to throw my hat."

The fact that Caleb thinks I am upset with him makes me feel even more guilty.

"No Caleb. It isn't that at all. I am not upset with you, I just have decided something, and I need to tell you, because it will affect you too."

"Oh?''

I breathe in deeply.

"Caleb, now that I have graduated, I need to get away from this area. It is becoming suffocating to me, being stuck here. I want to travel the world, and get new inspiration for my art. I want you to come with me, this could be a new adventure for us together."

Caleb looks as if I just shot him. This can't be good.

"Caleb, please, say something."

He finally speaks.

"Riley, we can't just up and leave. My life is finally settling down, I have my job at the store, your parents are beginning to accept me. I can only handle so much at once."

"It will all work out, we can do odd jobs while we travel to earn money. I can even sell my artwork, or do portraits of people we meet."

Caleb looks furious. I don't think I have ever seen him this angry, and I don't like it.

"No Riley, you only think of yourself. You can't accept that I am still learning about you and your people, and now you want me to go all around the world and make a fool of myself. I won't do it."

I never expected him to get this upset, I need to calm him down.

"Caleb, I am so sorry you feel hurt, but I have wanted to do this for a long time now. I don't know much about other cultures either, so we can make fools of ourselves together."

Caleb shakes his head.

"No, I can't do it Riley. I need to stay here and settle down."

"Caleb, you and I can settle down somewhere else. It doesn't have to be this state. We have both been here our whole lives, a change of scenery would be good for us. Please don't do this."

Caleb looks down at the floor, not saying anything else. I walk over to the bed and sit down next to him.

"Please tell me why you are acting this way, so stubborn."

Caleb looks up at me finally, and I can see tears dripping down his cheeks. My heart breaks to see him this way.

"Riley, you have to know I will always hold on to the hope that my parents will eventually forgive me someday. Even though it is impossible, I will always wish for it, and if I move away, they won't be able to find me."

Now it is my turn to be angry.

"Caleb, you are hoping your parents will accept you? So what, you are wanting them to let you back into the community? You would just up and leave me, leave everything we have built together?"