Barn Lofts and Back Roads

Two Weeks Later

-NICK-

"Uncle Jon's rush on the order to get more supplies came in last night and I'm going to go pick it up. I've got a few guys working on the back door ramp, some others on the front, and Uncle Jon's got his guys working all throughout the inside. He and Dad are getting a stair lift installed now and there's very little left to do for the garage ramp. Just reinforcing the rails and clearing out the debris from the garage. Nick and I will have it done by tonight. We're in good shape and all ready for tomorrow. The place will be completely accessible for Mattie, I promise. You don't even need to come here, bro. Mom's already here working on the statement...well, I tried to get her to stay at the house, but you know how that goes. She nor Dad will go home. If they're not here, they're over at Maria's checking in with her house staff even though they're literally paid to keep the place up. Mom says it's because she wants everything to be perfect for the press conference tomorrow, but I think the staff would do fine on their own. My focus is here and with everyone gathering by tonight, we'll be all set."

The sound of Uncle Logan's voice seemed to echo endlessly in the empty space of my parents' garage that typically held bicycles and sports equipment and Christmas decorations and a bunch of other random trinkets from my childhood, but had now been transformed into a space that was just big enough to accommodate Mom and Dad's cars and a new wooden ramp for my little brother's wheelchair.

It was a temporary change. Mattie would be back on his feet in no time and we'd forget that this had ever happened. My parents and grandparents and aunts and uncles said that over and over a million times. And yet, after spending hours hunched next to my best friends using power tools to cut, sand, paint, and tighten screws and bolts, the soreness in my shoulders didn't feel temporary and I wasn't convinced that I'd forget any of this anytime soon.

I sighed deeply as I pushed myself up from the ground and headed over to the little picnic table where both of my grandmothers and Hailey had set out a nonstop supply of sandwiches, veggie trays, ice water and cookies for the dozen crew members pulled from Uncle Logan and Uncle Jon's construction crews to work overtime on the farmhouse.

For a split second, old flashbacks to family summer dinners around the table filled my mind along with memories of running wild through the grass and mud with my siblings, cousins, and Kayla.

The mere thought of her was enough to make all of my other unsettled emotions a million times worse.

I pulled off my t-shirt and dumped one of the cups of ice over my head in an attempt to shut my brain off for a second before I shook my hair and let the icy cold water slosh down my back and drip over my face.

"Oh, goodness, honey, are you hot?" Gram's eyes grew wide.

"I—"

"I told Logan it was getting too hot in that garage and we should set up an outdoor fan, especially since the power in the house is off right now. Marilyn, can you get him some more water? I'm gonna go ask Jon if he has a fan. I bet he does. Or wait, there's Jordan, I'll get him to ask."

"I—" I started again, but it was too late. Gram was already headed towards the house, cupping her hands and calling for "J!"

"Here you go, sweetie, do you need to lie down? I can take you over to Caroline's house with your sister and brother." Grandma Marilyn held the same look of concern as she poured another cup of ice water and handed it to me.

"No, I'm fine."

"You're sure? Heat exhaustion is no joke and it can come on quickly."

"She's right, it can, especially if you don't have enough to eat. You didn't stop for lunch, did you? I just realized that Logan didn't come get your plates when I told him to. He's a workaholic. Don't let him work you in the ground too," Hailey extended a plate with a sandwich, chips, and veggies in my direction.