Chapter 1

Tonya POV

It's late, far after hours in New York.

A city I love, but can't help but despise at the same time, it's taken so much from me, but here I am, still fighting.

The leaves are shifting colors, the air is getting a bit colder and the people who are smart, are safely inside. Closing my eyes I take a deep breath in, smelling the slight scent of gasoline and filth.

Chaos rains the streets, nothing new honestly, but I wonder what it would sound like if it was never there.

On the edge of the building, I lean forward, falling.

The wind beats against me, resisting my weight, pushing me down.

Opening my eyes I look up at the night sky, the darkened blue hues put me at ease. Reaching out my hand, I wonder if she's looking down at me.

I wonder if she's proud.

Positioning my hand, a thick web shoots from my wrist. Weird I know, took me a while to get used to it, but now it's clockwork. Swinging from building to building in the darkened night, I hear the sound of men talking.

Their words are low but clear in the distance, landing on a rooftop, I look down to see them playing their music. Passing around a roll, and a drink or two as they plan their next heist.

Gangs like this are bold.

How could they not be, when they run the city?

But, there are only the small pieces, there are bigger, than there's him, Kingpin. He owns every corner of the city, from the police station, political chairs, shit, and even the damn pet store if he wants it. 

While some fractions rest peacefully it's only a matter of time before they end up working for him too.

They go on about a neighborhood robbery, wanting to steal a lot in close vicinity to pawn and sell for more. Swinging down, I kick one of them in the face. Standing on his head, I bow, "Good evening, I hope you're ready for an ass-whoopin'?"

This makes the men pull out their guns, and one of the men shouts, "Who the hell are you!"

I chuckle, "Midnight Spider, but most call me Spiderwoman."

Feeling my senses tingle, I smile, dodging their bullets with ease. Like a dance or Street Fighter, however, it mixes in your brain. Binding their hands with thick webs, they shout and struggle. Pulling two over, I bash their heads together making them cry and curse.

The other three start to look scared as I creep closer, stomping down on there friend.

I smile, tilting my head, "Did you know in Iran, a thief is punished by losing a finger or hand."

My voice darkens making one of them piss themselves, entertaining yes, binding the three together they stumble, struggling to break free.

Crawling on the wall, I hang them upside down. Reinforcing their binds a bit more, "I wonder how long it will take for the blood to pool in your skull, or will your organs put extra weight on your lungs for too long, stopping you're breathing altogether."

Fear fills their eyes making me pleased, "Well I guess I'll find out later."

I swing away leaving their cries for help and pleading behind. They're pretty far from people, I doubt they'll break free. But if they do, they'll learn to not fuck with me.

I take out a couple of baddies along the way.

The bad kind, not the good ones.

"Come on, you know you want it. Show me what that ass can do."

Looking down I see a drunken man pinning the lean teen against the musty brick wall. He's trying to push him away, kick him but the man got him trapped .

Frowning, I web the back of the man's head.

"What the-"

Pulling, I slam his head against the brick wall. 

Revealing myself, I bow, "Go, you're safe."

The boy stares before speaking softly, "No...I wanna watch."

I can see the rage behind his eyes, "As you wish."

Looking at the man I beat him to a bloody pulp and he watches every last bit. He weeps, begging for mercy, looking at the boy who seems pleased, I tilt my head, "Wanna take a shot."

Looking at me a bit surprised he nods, stepping forward. He musters all his strength, kicking the man up the head.

He utters simple words, insulting the man, finally done, the man is knocked out, and binding him to the wall I toss him in the dumpster. Looking at the boy I walk over to him, "He'll never hurt you again. No one will."

Seeing a glimmer of hope in his eyes he smiles, "Thank you."

Holding out my hand, he takes it, allowing me to swing away. He's scared at first but then he feels calm pushed against my side. Landing at his request, he smiles and waves one last time before walking inside a busted apartment building.

Watching him enter I swing away, feeling better than when the night started.

Being Spiderwoman isn't easy, especially in this city.

I enact justice, even if there's blood on my hands. This blood is little to what innocent people have to deal with.

But I'm here now.

And I'm not going anywhere.

Slipping away in the darkness, I return home, going through my window. Pushing past the curtains, I feel comfortable in my decorated bedroom. Turning on the blue LED Lights, my gaming setup shines in my presence making me smile.

Feeling sleepy, I strip, taking off the thin panties and stickies that keep my nipples hidden from my suit. Stuffing it in my drawer, I slip on my robe and slippers.

Leaving, I find the empty living room, no one's here.

Not surprising, ever since Mom died, he'd leave for months at a time. Working he tells me, must be true since the light is still on. Heading into the bathroom, I clean up, doing my usual nightly shower and routine.

The fog leaves as the cold air of the world hits my face. Hurrying to my room, I hang up my robe, putting on my Mom's old shirt.

She got it at a Jill Scott concert and bought the wrong size but didn't care. Hanging over my bum, I dim the lights and slip under the covers. Finally, in the safety of my home, I look at the ceiling, waiting, listening, thinking.

This is it.

This is my life.

I doubt forever but shit.

I just need to sleep.

When I wake up, I'll feel better.

I always feel better.

Yeah, always.