Chapter 20

Tonya POV

The leaves are changing again.

I remember what they looked like last year. When the world was dark, filled with smoke and terror.

I never would have thought a year later, I would be here on the roof top of the Morales home, enjoying a cook out.

His family who have stayed and left, come to gather, hearing the tales of how the city turned around for the better.

The memorial of his Dad looks beautiful under the light of the setting sun. Beautiful surrounded by his family and friends together again.

Looking at it, I feel a strong pair of arms around my waist.

"You ok Princesa?"

I smile, "Yeah."

I miss them, I miss my parents so much.

I never thought of the day they would both be gone. Not be here to see the changes, not be here to meet Miles and his family, or to call out my name with love in their eyes.

Miles can tell, he always can, kissing my cheek he pulls me along.

"They're proud of you, I know they're drinking with my Dad, smiling down on us."

His words are warm, giving me the relief I need to keep a smile on my face!

Pulling me along, he smiles, "Come on, I want to introduce you to everyone."

I nod, lacing our fingers together I get to see his family and friends. Mrs. Morales has already been bragging about me, leaving the family to welcome me with open arms.

Uncle Aaron is behind the grill cooking away while the Birthday Boy and I receive love and praise.

Did I forget to mention that?

It is August after all.

I also forgot to mention, that Miles got a new job, at a partnering company where I work.

After a good reference and his amazing grades I found it easy to bump him up to paid intern.

Three celebrations in one, that what I'd like to say.

He keeps me close, as Mrs. Morales brings out the cake.

With Happy Birthday written on it, I smile as we sing the little song.

Blowing out his candles we cheer, celebrating is 21st.

Then came the best part, the gifts.

Everyone gave him lots of things good or bad he appreciated it them all.

I'm the last one, I wanted to be.

First I gave him a bouquet of Sunflowers, something to match his smile.

They really do, almost blinding.

The latest Jordens and Nike shoes, both straight off the rack.

I got much praise form the men on this one.

Then of course clothes, something he doesn't prioritize and finally, a Switch, customized in his favorite color and engraved initials.

I can feel the baffled stares but I love spoiling him like he does with me. I can't tell you how many times I would say something, weather it's a desire or need and he spawns with it in a matter of 24hrs.

He loves them all, giving me a deep kiss making the family cheer and whistle.

I'm flushed if course but not as flushed when Mrs. Morales calls me her daughter-in-law during the remainder of the cook out.

Or when Uncle Aaron calls me his niece when he serves me a plate first.

Every time I'm around this family I feel like I'm being spoiled to the max and while it's overwhelming, I love every bit of it.

With his passing as an adult, he decides to move in with me.

With the promise of Sunday dinner with his family either at my place or his families, Uncle Aaron helps his nephew move in.

This is a new chapter for us, a chapter I didn't think would even come to pass a year ago.

And what's a better way to start a new chapter than to make the space our own.

Pulling out the paint cans and ordering new furniture, we redecorate the home, leaving the master bedroom untouched.

It's too hard to go in, too hard to even look at the door.

I can't think about it.

Not now.

We make it our own, that's what matters and doing it with him is fun.

Today is the first official day we're done with everything.

Miles should be coming back from work, so I am going to surprise him.

Slipping on the lavender lingerie, I spend the past hour or so cooking his favorite.

With my boyish apron covering my front I hear the door open.

"I'm home."

I remember stepping thought that door, and the days I would say it to an empty place. Now I'm here, funny how things work out.

"Welcome back!"

Plating the food I hear is steady footsteps make it's way over to us, "Whatcha cook-"

He stops, taking off the apron, I toss it on the countertop.

Turning to him lust fills his eyes, walking over to me he kisses me passionately.

Hands wondering my body, I brightly, allowing a light chuckle to leave my lips.

Arms hanging from his shoulders I pull away.

"Had a good day."

I smile, "Yeah, and it's getting even better."

Picking me up, I laugh a bit, "Miles I made dinner!"

He hums softly, "You're my dinner."

I laugh a bit, "Come on Miles! I would much rather be your dessert."

Whisper the final word in his ears he pushes me against the wall.

"Keep doing that Princesa and you won't be going to work tomorrow."

His words hit straight to my core, looking into his eyes I kiss him lovingly. He returns it, pouting every ounce of care into his touch, his moment, his lips.

Parting from me, I feel like I'm in a daze.

Smiling weakly, I rub the back of his neck.

"Ok maybe we can save dinner for later."

He smiles at me seductively, "That's my girl."