Chapter 4: Solo Dances

At the start of another intense week at the studio, Abby and her son Cooper stood in front of the blackboard, surrounded by attentive dancers and their mothers. The air buzzed with the energy of competition and the aftermath of Starbound's recent success.

"Let's give a round of applause for Starbound," Abby declared, prompting a wave of enthusiastic clapping. She turned to Brooke, her tone proud and appreciative. "Brooke, you absolutely stunned everyone out there. Your handstand twist was flawless, and despite the hip pain before the group dance, Cooper here helped you through it."

Brooke grinned appreciatively at Cooper, who nodded back at her with a supportive smile.

"Now, onto our next competition: Onstage New York at the Tinley Park Convention Center," Abby announced, flipping the blackboard to reveal the competition lineup. "Brooke, you're on top this week because of your outstanding performance. You'll be doing a solo, alongside Maddie and Chloe. As for Nia, Paige, Mackenzie, and Vivi-Anne," Abby paused, her gaze turning slightly stern, "it's time to tighten your technique. You'll also each have a solo this weekend to push yourselves further."

The mothers erupted into applause, with the exception of Cathy, who maintained a skeptical look. She knew Vivi-Anne had struggled with new choreography, making her uncertain about the upcoming solo.

"Moms, it's going to be a demanding week, and I expect nothing less than excellence from everyone," Abby concluded, her voice firm. With that, the mothers retreated upstairs while the dancers began warming up, the studio bustling with focused energy.

During a break at the front desk, Cooper was deep in conversation with Abby and Gianna, his mind brimming with an exciting idea.

"Mom, Gia, I've got a fantastic idea," Cooper exclaimed eagerly.

Gianna looked intrigued. "Let's hear it!"

Cooper leaned in and whispered his idea, a mischievous grin spreading across his face. Abby and Gianna exchanged knowing glances before breaking into wide smiles.

"That's a brilliant idea!" Abby exclaimed with genuine enthusiasm.

Gianna nodded in agreement. "It's definitely worth considering."

"Hey, Mel!" Cooper called out to Melissa, who emerged from the Dancer's Den, curious about Cooper's excitement.

"What's going on?" Melissa asked, her curiosity piqued.

Cooper leaned in and whispered his idea to Melissa, who couldn't help but grin broadly at the suggestion.

"I like it, but you know Christi is going to have something to say about that," Melissa remarked, her tone tinged with amusement.

Cooper rolled his eyes playfully. "Who cares what big schnozz thinks?"

Abby chimed in, her tone firm yet supportive. "Cooper's right. Maddie works hard, just like Cooper did when he was dancing competitively."

The next day, tensions simmered in the Dancer's Den as the competition loomed closer. In Studio A, Maddie diligently rehearsed her second solo, a result of Cooper's ingenious suggestion. Melissa couldn't resist a smirk as she opened the door that led to Studio A, catching Christi's suspicious glance.

"I'll go check for another bow," Melissa said casually, slipping out of the Dancer's Den, leaving Christi to voice her concerns to the other mothers.

"Did you know Maddie's doing two solos?" Christi asked, a hint of frustration in her voice.

"I had no idea," Kelly replied, surprised.

"Whose idea was that?" Holly wondered aloud.

"I bet it was Cooper," Kelly mused.