Chapter 5 (Season 2): The Return of Brooke

Four days after Thanksgiving, the studio buzzed with activity as seven girls and their mothers watched Abby and Cooper.

"Before we begin, I'd like to officially welcome Kendall as she is now a full member of the Abby Lee Dance Company," Abby announced, prompting applause from the girls and mothers, while Jill beamed with pride and Cooper presented Kendall with her jacket. "Remember, Kendall, it will be challenging, so work hard and wear that jacket with pride, standing tall and straight."

"I will," Kendall affirmed.

"Alright, let's get down to business. This weekend we're heading to Long Island, New York for Starbound. They're eager to compete against us, especially since you're the reigning National Champions aiming for a consecutive win. They mean business."

Next was the pyramid reveal. Mackenzie, Nia, Paige, and Kendall were on the bottom tier, with Chloe and Maddie above, and a concealed photo at the pinnacle. Speculation was rife; Payton and Leslie both anticipated being at the top.

"And at the top of the pyramid..." Abby motioned to Cooper, who unveiled the photo, eliciting gasps of shock and surprise. "...is Brooke."

Contrary to expectations, it was Brooke's photo at the apex, not Payton's. Payton and Leslie's faces fell in disbelief, tears welling up in Payton's eyes. Meanwhile, Brooke entered Studio A, approached Cooper with a kiss on the cheek and a warm embrace, followed by the other girls who rushed to congratulate her with hugs.

"Now, you might be wondering how Brooke could be at the top of the pyramid. Despite her sprained toe, she will perform a solo," Cooper explained, then glanced at Payton. "Payton, as my mom often says, 'Everyone's replaceable.' You weren't quite the right fit for this group. It was never about joining the team permanently; your mother misunderstood that. You were filling in for Brooke. You had a great time in St. Louis and saw the Gateway Arch; you shouldn't be upset."

"She has every right to be upset!" Leslie shouted, causing Abby and Cooper to exchange annoyed glances. "Cooper, your mother dangled a carrot in front of Payton only to yank it away! Why? So Jill's daughter could swoop in as a stranger, and your girlfriend could return despite her injury? Where's the loyalty? We've shown nothing but loyalty to your mother!"

"Really?" Kelly scoffed. "We've been loyal to Abby for 13 years. And before you mention Brooke's departure, remember she was only out for two weeks with a sprained toe. You, however, left a long time ago."

"How dare you!" Leslie exploded at Abby. "Our history?"

"Payton had the chance to travel to St. Louis with us and compete. Be grateful for that; it's better than nothing," Abby retorted.

"If you don't want Payton on the team, we'll find someone who does!" Leslie snapped. "Come on, Payton, let's go. They can keep Kendall and the rest of their group."

Payton joined her mother, and they headed for the exit.

"Oh, well," Cooper remarked nonchalantly, prompting laughter from everyone.

Brooke wasn't the only one with a solo; hers was titled 'Starry Night.' Mackenzie's solo was 'The Party Starts Right Now,' and the group dance was 'Avalanche.' At Starbound, Mackenzie took first place in the petite soloist division, and Brooke also secured first in the teen soloist category.

A week following their previous endeavor, Abby, Cooper, Gianna, along with the mothers and daughters, journeyed to Clute, Texas. There, they participated in a solo-centric competition known as MA Dance, where each contestant showcased their individual talents.