Safety Net

Rewrite of this scene from Ep 34^
****

As Murtasim stepped into his room during the early hours of the morning, he expected to be greeted by the darkness and his wife peacefully asleep on what was once his bed, without caring for his absence. Instead he was was welcomed by the soft glow of the bedside lamps as they illuminated the room in a warm yellow hue.

His confusion grew when he looked to the bed and saw Meerab sprawled on her side of the bed, looking quite uncomfortable without a pillow under her head and her left hand outstretched on his side of the bed.

He took in her image as he slowly walked over to her side, taking the moment to savour every inch of the beautiful woman that lay vulnerable and unaware in front of him. Her floral organza dupatta sprawled across her front, barely covering anything as her right hand lay on her tummy, her phone resting beneath her soft fingers and her chest rose and fell as she breathed.

In that moment he knew she was waiting for him to return and had fallen asleep doing so. His heart fluttered at the thought that Meerab actually cared about him even if she denied it in front of him. Her unchanged clothes, her still intact makeup, her uncomfortable position and her slightly furrowed brows even as she slept were all proof of that.

Gently discarding his coat on the sofa behind him, Murtasim leaned forward to place and adjust the pillow under her head, the other big one following after his jacket to the sofa and his hands reached out to gently release the phone from her loose grasp, placing it on the night stand before they cradled her head with the softest touch.

A part of him was afraid she would wake up and and push him away. But all negative thoughts flew out the window as he turned her head towards him and she surprised him by moving and nuzzling her cheek into his palm.

Murtasim stared in disbelief as his wife moved in her sleep, her body turning to face him and her left hand reached out to grab his left wrist successfully trapping his arm beneath her. She shifted again, her cheek nuzzling his palm once more as she settled into her new position and sighed, her hot breath brushing his skin resulting in goosebumps.

A sudden warmth spread through his body as she whispered in her sleep, "Murtasim..." she murmured, her grip on his wrist tightening as his breath hitched. Unable to tear his gaze from her sleeping figure he blindly reached out behind him and pulled the foot stool underneath him carefully before sitting down on it.

He was aware of the inevitable back ache that would follow a few hours later but in that moment he didn't care. This was too precious a moment. He could not let this rare opportunity of having his Meerab so close to him be ruined by negative thoughts.

His free hand slowly moved as he gently traced his finger tips across her soft features. The tips traced a path from her jaw and up her cheek to her temple. He gently pushed her hair behind her ear and she moved once again albeit very slightly mumbling his name once again as she nuzzled her cheek in his palm once more. Her soft fair skin a stark contrast to the roughness of his tanned and calloused hand.

His thumb gently glided across her cheek bone as he adored his sleeping beauty as she breathed softly against his arm.

He settled into a more comfortable position on the stool, his back stretched as he lay his head on the mattress using his free arm to support his own head, his gaze not once wavering from his wife.

Meri Meerab he thought as he continued to adore her features. His eyes traced a path from her forehead down the bridge of her nose and across her rosy cheeks to her soft pink lips that he yearned to kiss more than anything else in the world. He subconsciously licked his own lips at the sight of her juicy pink one's imaging his name being spoken through them once more and he sighed.