Confrontations

A rewrite of this^ scene from episode 20

Please note that this is an alternate fictional universe so some things will differ from the show.

P.S I wrote this in an extremely sleepy state in the middle of the night so excuse any grammatical errors I can't be bothered to fix them right now lol.

****

Tears slipped down her cheeks as Meerab stood by the window of Anwar Khan's portion on the first floor of the Khan Haveli staring at the night sky. The sky was filled littered with stars and the moon was high but neither of them seemed to shine today. They seemed dull, lightless ornaments hanging against an endless background of deep blue and black.

She seemed almost as lifeless as the moon and the stars, the only indication that she was alive were her heavy breaths. Each breathed seemed like a difficult task because an unusual heaviness had found its way and settled in her chest; one she hadn't felt in a while. Last time she felt like this was when the truth about her identity had been revealed; since then she had found solace in her rebellious nature, thinking that pissing off the entire family what somehow bring her peace.

But today felt different; she was inconsolable and she hated it. It confused her; she wasn't supposed to feel this way, she didn't love or even like Murtasim, she hated him, he ruined her life; by marrying her he bound her to a life she never wanted so why did her heart cry when she was not allowed to see him and forced to leave from the hospital earlier. Why did her chest ache with an unbearable pain? Why was it hard to breathe? Why did she long for one glimpse of the man whose name had now legally been attached to hers?

Then suddenly, as if the universe had heard her cries, Meerab saw movement in the garden below; the garden that was attached to his room-their room. A shadow moved in the light and then he came into view.

Murtasim.

He had a bandage wrapped around his head and his arm hung in an arm sling; the same arm he had put in front of her to protect her as that truck rammed into their car on that god awful night.

He had been so angry at her she felt like he would burn the world and her along with it. Yet when death approached, he dove in front of her without care, daring death to take him instead of her.

As if new life had been breathed into her, Meerab inhaled deeply and properly for the first time in days, her chest heavy with emotions she didn't fully understand and her bottom lip quivered as fresh tears pooled in her eyes.

She had to see him, talk to him. This is not how their story could end.

Murtasim had always been there for her, took a stand for her even when she was in the wrong. It was her time now. She had a faint idea that their witch of a cousin must've poisoned his mind against her but she needed to be sure and she needed to undo the damage before it was too late.

With heavy steps Meerab turned around and hurried downstairs just as Murtasim took a seat on the bench, every nerve in his body burning, every muscle aching, screaming and begging for relief as he sat back in the not so comfortable seat.

A fresh cigarette dangled from his fingers as he stared at it with empty eyes. Tears fell but there was no emotion in them, just pain. Raw, unbearable, inconsolable pain.

As he sat there like an emotionless lifeless statue, the muffled sound of grass crushing under feet was heard. And he knew it was her. He felt it. He didn't need to see her to know it was her and he didn't look up even as she approached him and stood in front of him.

He felt used. He longed for her but she never came. He was on the precipice between life and death yet she never came. She was his entire world and he was her...nothing. His heart ached and the one person he thought he could trust with it turned out to be the most selfish.