Chapter 1

"Fatima, there's somebody that I want you to meet" Denzel, Fatima's father, yelled from downstairs.

Fatima had a hard day today. She's been working and she's in high school, which makes it 10 times harder. "Daddy, I'm not in the mood. Please try it another time."

Pauletta, Denzel's Girlfriend, stood there.

"Fatima, come down right now. I want you to meet my girlfriend."

That made Fatima excited. "Coming!" She yelled. Fatima walked down the stairs.

"Tima?" Pauletta said

"Yes!" She ran and hugged her. "I haven't seen you since elementary school."

Unbeknownst to Denzel, they already knew each other. Pauletta was her favorite teacher from down the hall.

Fatima never got the chance to have her as a teacher, but she was always so happy to see her.

"So, you're with my dad?" She said, "glad I get to see you again."

"I'm glad I get to see you too. This is an interesting way to meet."

"I'm lost. How do y'all already know each other?" He asked

"Remember I use to come home and talk about my favorite teacher from woodcrest? This is her."

"Oh" he prolonged. "Small world."

"We have a lot of catching up to do. Bye daddy. We're going upstairs."

"Y'all are double trouble. I can already tell."

They walked up the stairs into Fatima's room. "Nice in here. You haven't stopped drawing. I like that."

"Never. You always told me that if I enjoy something, keep doing it. I haven't stopped. When I can't say what's on my mind, I tend to draw it."

"I see. I want to know how you've been and what else you've been up to."

"Nothing much. School is kicking my butt. I'm still an all A student though. I started working a couple weeks ago. It's fun, but it can get draining."

"I get that. If you get too tired and you feel burned out, stop working. Ask your boss to cut down the hours. You're a student first."

"I know. I actually just emailed him two hours ago and asked. I haven't even taken a nap today."

"I'm sorry to interrupt."

"Oh no. You're fine. I actually like talking to you." Her phone buzzed and Fatima slightly smiled.

Pauletta looked at her, "it's a love smile. Interesting." She slightly laughed

"Not love like that, but I do love him. I'm still best friends with Zac. That was him."

"I'm not surprised. Y'all couldn't be separated. Glad that it's still like that"

"Yeah, but I want dad to actually accept him. He's so mean to Zac. He makes me really mad when he acts out like that, so I don't bring Zac around anymore. I love my dad, but sometimes it's too much. I just want to have a simple night with Zac. His parents love me, but I don't like the way that he treats Zac. Zac means the world to me."

"Let me do you a favor. I'll talk to him. He shouldn't treat Zac like that and I'm going to make it known."

"I don't want to start anything between you two. It's okay. Just leave it."