20. What If?

A week passed and I finally met up with Mateo. I've been occupied acquiring assets and working twice as hard. I guess deep down I know I drown myself with work, not just because I have to, but because I'm trying to avoid thinking about Elizabeth. Truly, she never left my mind.

Am I really this jealous of her? Because she's Anthony's girlfriend?

I really don't get it. I checked myself in the mirror and sat down on the seat Mateo reserved for the both of us. I arrived earlier than usual. I needed to get out of the office and sort out my thoughts. I was also trying to avoid Milko and Alyssa for the mean time.

Mateo arrived 30 minutes before the time we agreed on. Our eyes locked the moment he saw me.

"Looking good." I said as I smile sweetly at him. He smiled back. I stood up and we hugged each other. We both sat down after.

"Why do you look so good today, Mat?" I asked. "People would think we're on a date or something." I teasingly said. He chuckled.

"You're the one to talk. You are the one looking great here as always." He answered.

Mateo has always been so kind to me. He was like the brother I never had. But as I stare at Mateo, a thought got in my head.

What else could a woman wish for? Mateo has got the look. Sure, he is not as good looking as Anthony or even as rich. But he is resilient, hard working, reliable, and he got his own charm. Is Mateo even single? We've been friends for so long and he has been working for me and the Bauman's that I never even asked.

What am I even thinking?

"So what if they think we are here on a date? There's nothing wrong with that. Is there?" He said.

"Mateo, are you single?" I blurt out without thinking. He laughed shyly and looked away.

"So...let's order." He said as he check out the menu.

"Heyyy. Is that a yes?" I asked.

"Why would you assume that?" He asked back.

"Well...so are you not then? Mateo, why can't you just answer me? It's just a yes or no. You know? Or don't tell me you're actually seeing someone? Without telling? I'm like your little sister!" I said. He smiled but he seemed a little uncomfortable with what I said.

"Well...No, I'm not seeing anyone. There is someone I like..but.. not that it matters, Emi." He said. He seemed a little hurt. I didn't ask more.

"You know what... if there's someone you like. And that person is not in a relationship, engaged,or married yet. Maybe you still have a chance. Don't give up just yet." I jokingly said. Well, it was partly true. Maybe there is hope for Mateo.

"After all, who in their right mind wouldn't fall for you, Mateo? Have you seen yourself? Your personality? Your presence? Who is that crazy woman who wouldn't like you back? Let me talk to them so I can knock some sense out of them. Really." I added.

"Well..would you date me?" He said.

Where did that come from?

"Oh, c'mon." I jokingly said, rolling my eyes at him and smiled.

Well, will I date him? Me and Mateo? Why would he even ask that? We have been working side by side and been friends all this time. I never thought of it myself. What could he even possibly like about me? No. That can't be. I'm sure he is just teasing.

Mateo didn't say anything else. He just smiled hinting that we should just drop the topic. He had a pained expression in his face. But, I didn't say anything further.

We dropped the topic and continued to order food. Mateo told me a way to get closer to Elizabeth. I told him my plan of befriending her. So, he looked up more information about her and ways I could use to "accidentally" bump into her again.

"Pottery class, huh?" I said.
"Yup. Elizabeth takes a pottery class every now and then. You can use this opportunity." He said.

I started to slowly feel excitement with the thought of being able to see Elizabeth again. The food arrived and the rest of the dinner was filled with childhood stories and catching up.

It does seem like a date, but thinking about it, maybe going on a date with Mateo isn't so bad after all?

Mateo took me home. I was about to go inside the gate of my house when it seems like he was about to say something. I looked at him and waited. He seemed to hesitate and just stood there with a smile on his face.

"What is it?" I asked.
"Nothing. It's nothing, Emi. Now is not the time." He said.
"Well, if you say so." I smile and winked at him. I approached him and gave him a tight hug. He hugged me back and pulled away.

"Oh, too much?" I laughed. He didn't say anything. He just smiled and said " Good night, Emily." I greeted him good night as well and left.

The following weeks I will be busy finishing everything so I can make time and see Elizabeth again.

I'm finally setting the stage. The play is about to start.

***