27. Why?

After what happened at the parking lot Mateo decided to take me home. Both of us didn't say a word. For which I was thankful for. I couldn't put what I feel into words. And I was happy that Mateo knows me well enough not to ask.

After what I saw, I have decided to do everything I can to have them break up. Because I'm Elizabeth's friend, I know she can do so much better than being with Anthony. There are many eligible bachelor in the country. Surely she will never run out.

Admittedly at first, I just want to take revenge to Anthony and his family. I befriended Elizabeth just to take information from her. But now, everything is different.

I now care for Elizabeth. I want the best for her. And Anthony just isn't it.

Elizabeth celebrated her birthday in different ways. Through charity, a big party, and an intimate one. She invited me for dinner, but knowing she will probably invite Anthony, I couldn't risk it. It's just simply not the time yet.

I sent her the art pieces I've bought her as a gift. She gave me a bouquet of flowers with a letter thanking me for the gift I gave her, she handed it to me when she saw me in one of our pottery class.

Oh Elizabeth, if you were a guy, I might have even fallen for you.

A month passed and I felt me and Elizabeth became even closer. We would meet even on weekdays now. Even if we don't attend the art classes together. I can say that I'm now truly her friend. I would skip work or leave early to meet up with her. One call is all it takes for me to drop everything to have lunch with her or just simply spend time.

She always say I don't have to, but obviously I always tell her I'm available.

When you care for people, you make time. Right?

That evening, after I had dinner with Elizabeth, we ended up just talking inside her car. We were just there at the parking lot. The full moon was shining brightly.

It was picture perfect. We were having deep talks about life and love. Elizabeth is great listener. She looks me in the eye when I talk and genuinely reacts and speaks her mind.

We ended up hanging out for too long. It was almost 1 a.m. We had to part ways when we both noticed the time. She offered to take me home but I couldn't reveal where I live as it would exposed my identity as well.

So I decided to wait for my driver and quickly go home.

Curtis, will not be happy if he finds out. I hope he's asleep.

The coast is clear judging from the outside. There were no lights coming out from Curtis' window.

I quietly went inside the house. I even tiptoed trying to be as quiet as possible and using the flashlight from my phone to walk in the dark hallway. I didn't want to alarm anyone, not even the staff from the house. Surely they will let Curtis know that I got home late so I have to be discreet.

I was near the door of my room when all the lights from the hallway turned on.

Shit

"Quite an escapade you had there." Curtis said sternly.

I quickly turned around to face him.

"Look. Nothing personal. You're now of age. You're more than capable and more than allowed. I know you know what you're doing. I'm your mentor but I'm also your friend. Nicolas handed your care to me. Your life is yours. But care to tell me why you've been leaving the house on time, but someone informs me you skip work? Or you do go to work but you always leave so early in a hurry? You cancel appointments left and right. What's happening with you?"

"First..hello Curtis. And yeah..about that. I'm.... I'm meeting Elizabeth more often now." I answered looking away.

Curtis let out a loud sigh.

"Emi, we've almost acquired everything. You're this close to taking everything away from the Mortenson's business wise. Isn't this what we have always wanted? But you're getting too close to Elizabeth. We have the most shares on their properties. You don't have do playhouse with Elizabeth anymore." He said.

I continued looking to the ground. I couldn't face him. We have been working hard for years. Not just me, but everyone else who helped me. The late Nicolas, who gave me all the wealth he has. Curtis, who has been his advisor and great friend, who became my mentor and is also living me with me, among the other staff Nicolas entrusted with. We're close to getting everything. I know I have no reason to befriend Elizabeth anymore.

"Curtis..I..."
"I'm sorry." I said.

"Don't tell me... do you like Elizabeth, Emi?" Curtis asked.

My head quickly turned to face Curtis. Our eyes met and I couldn't answer.

"The Mortenson's are evil. They're bad news. Better start detaching yourself from anyone close to them." Curtis warned.

"I don't understand...why do you hate them so much?" I asked. I saw a hurt expression on his face. As if I asked a question I wasn't supposed to ask.

"What I'm about to tell you...you can't tell anyone." Curtis said.

***