9

"Oi you," called a feminine voice. "You're on the squad for the next mission."

I turned slowly, one brow raised in annoyance. It was a female member I couldn't recall meeting before. "I know. I saw the notice."

She crossed her arms and leaned on one hip. With a sigh, she cast a glance back towards Captain Koji's office before meeting my eyes. Her skin rippled with scales when the light bounced on it at a particular angle and one of her eyes was scarred shut. The other was the equivalent of a blue sapphire, radiant and rare in its colour.

"Cap told me to tell you that you're being dispatched alone on this one."

My body froze before I spun around to face the lady, a frown visible on my face. "What happened to the rest of the squad?"

"It wasn't their decision. It was Koji's," the woman explained. With a shrug, she continued. "He's in a mood."

I gaped at her, unsure of how to feel about the situation. On one hand, I wouldn't have to deal with the obnoxious gang members that I was often dumped with on missions but at the same time... Being all alone would no doubt be dangerous. I could only take on so many people and I was definitely aware of my weaknesses.

"Ok well are you going to give me the brief? What is the mission even for?" I asked, panic slowly starting to fizzle in my veins.

She pulled out a thin brown folder and threw it at my feet before giving me a fake smile and sashaying off, catching the attention of the various gang members ogling her.

This was either a really good thing or a catastrophic one. Depending on what this mission was, I would walk out with either a bloodied body or a relieved smile on my face. Although now that I thought about it, I had never successfully finished a mission with a smile so there went that option.

Scurrying away out of the prying eyes of bystanders, I rushed into my room and slammed the sliding door shut. The brown folder in my tight grasp had all my attention as I flicked it open and scanned the page for information.

A relieved breath blew out of me to find that it wasn't uselessly empty and that there was in fact information that would give me an advantage. The mission was just delivering a stash of Trigger to an allied gang in the vicinity, ensuring that payment is given in full as they had a previous track record of late payments.

It didn't sound too difficult but the statistics available had my stomach up in knots. Their numbers were between fifty and one hundred. It was always difficult gathering an accurate estimate of members in a gang due to the increased use of spies and double agents. Even the Shie Hassaikai had had its fair share of undercover members from rival gangs as well as traitors and spies.

All I needed to do was get in and out with one less stash of drugs and a stack of cash in my back pocket. That was if things went my way...

...

They had the decency to arrange a vehicle to take me to the location. It was barely a five minute drive which indicated that we had still remained in the same region of the city. Allied gangs didn't like to stray too far from their superiors because they were aware that they could receive support from us if a rival gang interfered with them.

A bunch of cowards. And I suppose I was no different.

I was dressed in my freshly cleaned black suit that lacked its previous rips and blood stains. The weather was chilly so I'd thrown on a matching black zip up hoodie with deep pockets. The stash of Trigger was slung over my back in a small bag and as I listened to the GPS by the driver's seat, my nerves were getting riled up with every turn we took.