2. An Angel for your secrets

Being in Soobin's dorm building again was a weird feeling. Knowing that he could run into the Human here if he wanted to. Because of the contract Kai could sense when Soobin was near enough to avoid seeing him though.

Still, he couldn't stop himself from casting paranoid looks over his shoulder as he stepped into the elevator and pressed third floor. Empty, luckily.

If he saw me now it would ruin everything.

But haven't I already ruined everything?

The desk manager had barely looked his direction as he passed, Kai was eternally grateful for Human's slacking tendencies.

He leaned on the wall of the elevator and watched the numbers flashing on the floor indicator.

This will work. This has to work.

After all, Yeonjun always liked him, right? But he didn't know what Soobin had told him. If Soobin had told him anything.

Kai sighed, lost in thought with a scrunched up face. He jumped when the elevator doors slid open with a ding. Not allowing himself to get second thoughts, he walked quickly down the hall. Luckily, he remembered Yeonjun's room number, though he thought maybe he would rather if he didn't.

I have to do something.

Yeonjun's door loomed into view and he forced his legs to comply.

There is something inherently embarrassing about this.

Kai hesitated, stopping to stare at the smooth surface of the door as if he could glimpse his future through the peephole. Whatever he would have seen there he was sure he wouldn't like.

Screw it.

He rapped with his knuckles for a few seconds and then pulled his hand away like the scratched grey paint contained rabies.

Shuffling sounds followed by voices sent a rush of adrenaline shooting to Kai's feet.

He stood there though, waiting in painful uncertainty. The moments ticked by.

What will his reaction be?

Still no one opened the door and Kai was about to knock again when he heard footsteps. They paused on the other side of the door and a muffled voice, sounding concerned, could be heard softly through the door.

"Should I open it? What if its Tae, or Soobin?"

Then, a teasing response from farther away,

"Its not Tae, I told you, he's visiting his parents for the day. Just look through the peephole, idiot~"

The second person chuckled fondly, as the first voice sounded indignant now,

"I'm not an idiot."

"You're my idiot. Whatever just open it Jun."

Kai was beginning to become quite confused, and without noticing had leaned closer to the door the hear better. His temporary distraction was shattered and his nerves came back in full when the door indeed suddenly opened and he was faced with a shirtless and ruffled looking Yeonjun.

His hair is black.

Kai stood frozen as Yeonjun's eyes widened in surprise taking him in.

What was I going to say to him again?

Yeonjun beat him to the punch, face almost disbelieving as he spoke.

"Kai? I thought... But Soobin said..."