✮ 2.

(Y/N)'s jaw went slack as they stared in disbelief at Sendou whose eyes went wide, seemingly having realized he's said something he shouldn't have. He exchanged worried glances in Oliver's direction before smiling awkwardly.

"Sur... prise?" He suggested, shrugging as he gave them a thumbs up. (Y/N) now shifted their attention to Oliver who was sweating bullets in the front seat, pretending not to notice their ice cold glare that was boring holes in him.

"What." The one word was enough to make both the players' blood run cold. The original plan had been to bring them to the tryouts and force them to participate on the spot, but (Y/N) had found out about their plan, causing a massive bump in the road.

"Well, me–and Sendou—thought that you should join the team since, you know..." Oliver stuttered through his sentence, determinedly not making eye contact with (Y/N) as he parked the car.

"And you thought to just bring me here with no knowledge and spring this on me?" (Y/N)'s voice was eerily calm, the way it got when they were really, really angry, "What the hell, Oliver?"

"I've seen the things you can do with a soccer ball, (Y/N)," he said, sighing as he killed the engine, but didn't get out of the car, "Please, just one try?"

"I don't play soccer, so don't ask." Spat (Y/N), furious at Oliver's nerve to pull anything like this. Sendou sat in the corner of the car, keeping his mouth shut (for once) as he watched the quarrel play out.

"Look, (M/N), I'm really sorry about all this," Oliver said, his voice soothing, "I've known you for so long and I've seen you play and I know you don't hate the sport. Can you just do me a favour and try? If you don't get selected, I promise I'll never bring up soccer again, okay? Please?"

(Y/N) knew that Oliver was using his sheer charisma to influence and charm them, but man, was it working. Slowly and against their will, they felt their resolve fade as they analyzed his words. He was right, of course. They didn't hate soccer, in fact, they never had. Most of what was there had been pain, leading to a jumble of emotions they didn't understand.

If they really thought about it, (Y/N) actually feared playing soccer again. They feared the thrill that it could bring, they feared playing to their max because they feared thinking of the past for it would only bring pain. In truth, they were scared of getting hurt again.

(Y/N)'s (E/C) eyes met Oliver's purple and green ones as he gave them his most convincing puppy eyes. Internally, they cursed themselves for being so soft when it came to him. After a moment, they sighed, giving in as he knew they would.

"...Fine," (Y/N) ceded, "but only this once, after tryouts, I'm done." Oliver let out a breath he didn't know he'd been holding before smiling, not his usual grin, but a much more genuine smile. Sendou pumped his fist before getting off the car and helping Oliver unload practice materials such as cones and spare balls.

This was an easy fix, all they had to do was fail miserably and no one would be any the wiser. As an added bonus, Oliver would even stop bothering them! It seemed as if this situation really favoured (Y/N) more than anything for which they were glad.

(Y/N) grabbed their bag before getting off, wondering just what they were getting into. Once inside the premises of the stadium, Oliver passed them a pair of shorts and a shirt before running off into the other direction, saying something about how he had to meet the team coach.

"Sometimes I forget he's the team captain," mumbled Sendou, leading the way to the locker room, "Not that I'm complaining or anything." (Y/N) chuckled at this, taking their mind off the tryouts momentarily.

The changing room, though large, was filled with bags and various people, some (Y/N) recognized and some they didn't. Sendou spotted the old U-20 team at once, waving and running over to them, dragging along the teen in their wake.