𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐

THE BREEZE BLEW, pushing aside the princess' hair as she looked the King of Kouka right in the eye

"You can drop the act."

"What do you mean, Princess?"

Soo-Won kept the same warm and gentle tone. He didn't seem bothered at all by her sudden statement. However, she did notice his fists ball up a little tighter on his robes.

"I meant every word that came out of my mouth."

The corner of her cherry red lips quirked up as did her eyebrows. She smirked in return.

"Oh I know you did. But that warm expression is just terribly annoying. It's so fake. Do you act like this with that girl too? Yona, was it?"

At the mention of his childhood friend, Soo-Won's face broke character for a second. He did well to cover it up, but Ruelle saw it clearly. He was definitely acting, and he just proved it right then and there.

"I do not understand why you think my expression is fake or why Yona would get special treatment. Yona is my friend, my childhood friend even. I care for her dearly, however, I do not feel the same way about her as I feel towards you," Soo-Won replied, his tone soft again, "I only have eyes for you, Princess."

At this, Ruelle could only laugh.

"Pfft. More like eyes for my kingdom. It's going to take more than sweet talk to get my approval."

The carriage came to a stop right after her declaration, resulting in her standing up and exiting the carriage, leaving Soo-Won to stare at the seat she was just sitting at.

"I know that."

Soo-Won calmly watched the princess leave the carriage before quietly exiting the carriage himself. He then swiftly took a hold of her hand from behind. Ruelle looked over to laugh at him once more, but stopped in her tracks.

The gentle carefree smile that he always wore was gone. His expression was serious, all signs of his act had diminished.

"Ha~ my darling princess. You seem to believe my words aren't enough to convince you," he hummed, voice suddenly growing colder.

With his hand still holding hers, he knelt down and whispered in her ear, "Well, if we can't agree on the peace and stability of our kingdoms, then let's see how you handle what's left of your kingdom after I've taken it by force. Princess Ruelle Jia of the Lotus Kingdom."

Contrary to his expectation, Ruelle began to laugh. He had just threatened to attack her kingdom. Yet here she stood with a smile that seemed too genuine to be faked. He couldn't help but feel interested as he pulled his face away.

"There it is, the face I've been waiting for!"

His grin grew even more devilish at the princess' comment.