1. Daybreak

"Y/n."

"Hey!"

"Wake up sleepy ass..."

"Come on open your eyes already!"

    Y/n flickered her eyes open to see someone's back facing her lying self. It looked like a man dressed in all black. He was sitting with his knees folded a foot away from Y/n, staring at the rising sun rays slipping through the slits of the cloudy and gloomy sky.

"Finally awake. I should have been paid to carry you up here." Minho said without turning his head to Y/n behind her.

"Ugh, Minho? Where... are we?"

    Y/n held her aching head and squinted her eyes to avoid the freshly found luminance on her eyes and took in a noseful of stench while she was at it.

"Look around." Minho said.

    Y/n turned her head in multiple directions, and for the second she recalled where this place was, a shiver ran down her spine. Realization bashed and her wounds from last night started stinging with excruciating pain.

"Aaagh!" Y/n groaned again.

    She had a twisted right ankle, a few scratches on her hands and an injury on her head.

"How's your ankle?" Minho asked.

"It's fine, my head hurts." Y/n replied.

"We gotta find a way..."

    Minho stood up, and trod to the edge of the tiled roof they were currently on top of. Y/n pulled her body up as well and walked up behind him. And a breath of awe was exhaled as she saw the severity of the situation they were stranded in.

    It was a panorama right out of a horror movie. Buildings were caving on both sides, electrical wires dangling on the road, and destroyed cars on the streets. The worst was the red splashed everywhere. Corpses were all mangled, mauled, and torn to pieces; human parts littered every corner of the stained road.

    Amidst which were the groans and howls of the monstrous creatures lurking anywhere the sight could see. Even in a small village near the border, who knew this nightmare could sweep up overnight? Certainly not the two that survived till the dawn broke.

"...out of this." Minho finished.

"Fucking hell..." Y/n mumbled.

"Do you remember why you passed out yesterday?" Minho asked turning to Y/n.

Y/n nodded.

"Do you need some time to sob?" Minho asked.

Y/n hung her head, heaved a heavy breath and placed a hand on Minho's shoulder.

"Not yet..." Y/n exhaled and looked Minho in the eyes.

"I'm gonna go see them first..." Y/n mumbled as her nonchalant expression showed a hint of sadness and her eyes reflected the pain of losing loved ones.

    Minho was worried, but neither he nor Y/n were the type of people to exhibit their emotions upfront to someone. Especially not to each other. Their relationship with each other started from competing and later turned to friendship, but their minds were still stuck there on the competing part.

"It all... feels like a nightmare..."

    As Y/n was trying to control the overflowing emotions within her, she could see the uniform she was wearing. The memories gushed in after that.

    On a regular evening, during her night shift at the District 9 Zoo Gahyeonri Gimpo, something unworldly happened. Just a few hours ago, she had a family, a safe life, happiness, everything.