72. Therapy Session 5: Healthy Boundaries

Ram knocked on the door and entered with Tara. Priya was sitting on the bed with her head in between her hands. She looked up when she heard the door open.

Ram became very tensed as he saw her holding her head. Ram walked towards her.

Ram: Priya? Thik ho na? Main...main Doctor ko bulayun? Sar dard kar raha hai?

Priya kept looking at him silently. Tara could sense the tension between them. She stood beside Ram.

Tara: Ram tum bahaar wait karo please.

Ram: But?

Tara: Priya is fine Ram. Please wait outside. Main hoon yahan. If she needs anything, she can tell me.

Ram sadly nodded and went towards the door. He again turned around to see Priya. And then he closed the glass panel with the curtain and went out so that they could have privacy.

Tara: Main yahan baith sakti hoon?

Tara asked Priya while pointing to the stool kept beside her bed. Priya nodded. Tara sat there.

Priya: Tum sofa pe bhi baith sakti ho. Zyada comfortable hoga.

Tara turned her head towards the sofa that was kept at a corner of the cabin.

Tara: Ummm...no... I think this is better.

Priya nodded and then lowering her head, she started to fidget with her fingers.

Five minutes went by like that. Priya didn't look up nor did she say anything. She didn't know what to say. She didn't have the courage to look into Tara's eyes and see pity for her in her eyes. She knew that Tara knew everything and she surely didn't want her sympathy.

Another five minutes passed. Priya expected Tara to say something but she didn't. Priya felt responsible for wasting her time while she could have helped someone else. So she looked up and met Tara's eyes.

Priya(in a low voice): I'm just wasting your time.

Tara gave a small smile and shook her head.

Tara: No you're not Priya. Main samajh rahi hoon tum kis dard se guzaar rahi ho aur aisi baat bilkul nahi hai ke tumhe baat karni hi hai. But there's a thing, if you want me here I'll sit but if you don't then also it's completely fine. I'll not hold that against you.

Priya: I'm sorry.

Tara: Kyun?

Priya looked at her intently.

Priya: Tum yahan aayi apne waqt se thoda waqt nikalke aur main woh waqt zaya kar rahi hoon. Shayad yeh waqt kisi aur ko milta toh uski madat ho jaati.

Tara: Priya khamoshi ko itna kamzor mat samjho. Bohot baar khamoshi hume itna kuch bata jaati hain jinhe shayad hazaaron baatein bayan nahi kar paate. Toh tumhe jo 'waqt zaya' lagg raha hai woh mere liye 'bohot zaroori' hai.

Priya couldn't help but give her a sad smile and a nod. She let out a sigh.

Priya(lowering her head): Tum meri help nahi kar sakti.

Tara: Okayy. Tumhe aisa kyun lagta hai?

Priya stayed silent for a couple of minutes and then again looked at her with tearful eyes.

Priya: Can you make me forget all those things Tara? Main bhool jayungi...toh sab thik ho jayega. Kar sakti ho?

Tara looked at her sadly and gently shook her head.

Tara: Nahi.

Priya(with a hollow laugh): Then you can't help me. You know...I have tried therapy, it didn't work. I'm sorry to tell you but it didn't. I'm taking those medicines and they do nothing other than making me feel like a sloth. I can't take care...of my own daughter. Main chahti hoon ke main better feel karoon, khush rahoon taaki main apni family ka khayal rakh paayun but look at me! Allergic reaction hoke hospital mein hoon...meri bachhi ro rahi hai aur mere paas koi jawaab nahi hai usse dene ko. Mr. Kapoor idhar udher daud rahe hain taaki main thik rahoon. Sabko pareshani mein daal diya hai maine.