97. Karma

With a scowl, Ram splashed water to his face a little too roughly after spending another sleepless night.

Last night's date/party with his girls did help his guilt lessen a bit but it also increased his hatred towards Nandini and Heera and his need for vengeance reached another level.

One thought that constantly bit him from last night, after Priya and Pihu fell asleep was how Priya and Pihu's smiles were not there without any scars. They had to pay a heavy price for it.

He was getting ready to go to the police station to meet Nandini. He was not quite sure what he would say to her but he knew the fire that was burning inside of him would not mitigate until he did something.

So he called Krish to ask if he could come to the police station as he was the only one who knew everything and he was surprised when Krish agreed without any question.

Changing into his clothes, Ram got out of the washroom and his eyes fell on Priya and Pihu, sleeping peacefully, without a care of the world. He smiled softly, knowing that they would be sleeping till late today as it was past 2'o clock when they slept.

Letting out a sigh, he picked up his blazer and went out of the room.

. . . . . . . . . .

The sky was quite cloudy that day with no hint of sunlight. Ram leaned on the window, staring into nothingness. It felt like nature also understood the storm going on inside him.

And a few minutes later, raindrops tapped against the window gently, mirroring the silent tears that he was trying very hard to control.

"Hume alag karna kya enough nahi tha? Itne saal ka jhoota natak kya enough nahi tha? Hume toh alag kar hi diya tha...yeh kyun kiya? Kyun Priya pe aise...torture...", Ram thought, fuming inside.

. . . . . . . . . .

As Ram got out of the car, his eyes fell on Krish talking to someone on the phone. Krish saw him walking towards him and gave a nod.

Ram: Thanks for coming.

Krish: I had to. Priya ko main itne saal se bol raha hoon...she didn't listen. Tumne kaise kiya?

Ram sighed deeply. Priya's reason to agree with this was solely because of his restlessness. She did this for him...again. But he didn't want Krish to know that.

Ram: Pata nahi.

Krish: Ram...it won't make any sense. Nandini Kapoor would get life imprisonment anyway. Isse kuch khaas hoga nahi. Plus we don't have any evidence.

Ram: Pata hai mujhe.

Krish: Toh phir?

Ram: Krish main chahta hoon jab saare evidence pesh ho judge ke saamne toh yeh bhi ho. I want people to know that this happened! Main nahi chahta isko aise daba diya jaye ke...(With angry tears) Priya aur Pihu ko koi dard mehsoos nahi hua. I want people to know that this crime happened even though it doesn't influence the judgement. At least iss cheez ko address kiya jaaye court mein. Krish agar main isse aise hi jaane diya...toh ek cheez aur add ho jayegi jiske liye main poori zindagi regret karunga. And I don't want that again. I would rather do my best and fail than regret not trying.

For the first time in all these months, Krish felt Priya did the right thing choosing to be with Ram again.

Giving Ram a subtle nod, Krish took out a pen and showed him how to operate it.

Krish: Tumhe lagta hai tum confession le paoge? I don't think she'll confess Ram. Yeh trick ek baar toh kaam kiya tha...ab karega kya?

Ram: I'll try my best.