Chapter 16 - To make up for the fact it's me

Saturday, May 13th, 2017. Sophomore year, the weekend before finals week. The night Sapnap and Karl don't remember.

It had been far too long since Sapnap felt like this- felt good.

Dream and George were laughing by his side at whatever idiotic dance move Punz was trying to do. Foolish and Tina were hyping Punz up, attempting to do the ridiculous move with him. Hannah and Sylvee were there too, both in the kitchen mixing together another jungle-juice concoction.

Sapnap never should've judged the fruity mixed drinks- he'd only had two cups and he was properly wasted.

His heart was feeling so full, he was pretty sure he was one more drink away from spilling his guts about how much he loved and appreciated all his friends, with big crocodile tears streaming down his cheeks.

"Now we're talking!" Dream called out, cupping his hands around his mouth to amplify his voice over the music.

Sapnap turned around to see another crowd of people walking in, Karl at the front with his hands raised in the air, pointing at Dream. Sapnap watched with a big smile plastered on his face when he saw the way Karl danced through the thickening crowds over to them.

They hadn't talked much since their sprained ankle incident, but Sapnap had a good feeling that might change tonight.

As soon as Karl was close enough to Sapnap, Karl draped his arms around his shoulders, kissing Sapnap's cheek when their friends started whistling.

"Cut the shit, Jacobs." Sapnap tried to sound the way he normally did- gruff and annoyed- but he figured the smile on his face and laughter on his tongue ruined that plan.

"I'll pass, that sounds gross." Karl answered with a smile that mirrored his own. Sapnap was already swaying when it was only his own weight he had to support, so Karl leaning heavily into his side was a recipe for disaster.

"Bottoms up!" Hannah called out, a dripping pitcher in her hand. Everyone close by held out their cups and she filled them one by one. Right on cue, Sylvee appeared with another pitcher just as Hannah's ran out.

Once Sapnap's glass was full, Karl plucked it out of his hands, bringing the rim to his smiling lips.

"There's a whole tub of this stuff in the kitchen, but you drink out of my cup?" Sapnap asked with an eye roll. He'd be lying if he said he wasn't in a trance already, watching a droplet of the red liquid trail from the corner of Karl's mouth, all the way down his neck.

"What'd you say, handsome?" Karl asked, handing the cup back.

Sapnap's face matched the color of the juice in his hand- red and uncomfortably warm. Karl called everyone little pet names, this didn't mean anything. Sapnap shook off the feeling, hoping the redness on his face could be excused by the alcohol.

"Said get your own." Sapnap scoffed, taking a sip.

As conversations resumed around him, he wasn't sure when he became so comfortable with Karl glued to his side. Karl had both his hands resting on Sapnap's shoulder, his chin leaning on top of them. Sapnap had also put his arm around Karl's waist, holding him close to his side.

Whenever Karl reached down to steal another sip of Sapnap's drink, he'd give Karl hell for it, but willingly hand over the cup each time.

Sapnap was laughing so hard he was starting to get light headed, which only made him laugh harder. It wasn't helping that Karl was practically doubled over in front of him, laughing just as hard at whatever the forgotten joke was.

It was amusing to Sapnap how Karl was already just as drunk as he was. He was sure Karl pregamed before getting to the party, but even so, the half of Sapnap's drink that he stole really did a number on him. Sapnap also thought this batch was stronger than the last.