~i~

There was almost nothing left of the Dragon Mountains. Of your home. It was all gone.

Fire crackled around you as you walked through the trenches, the Witcher on his horse, close behind you.

"We need to go, Y/n," Geralt of Rivia said. "There's nothing left. I'm sorry."

"No, I have to make sure Ciznar made it here safely," You said.

"Ciznar was half dead just half past an hour ago," Geralt said. "I'm sorry, Y/n. But there's nothing we can do."

You ignored the protesting Witcher, continuing to walk through the trenches, stepping over dead dragons with blood pouring out of them.

You held back sobs as you approached the large palace, looking up to see the porch your mother, Rimnekel tried to escape out of.

"It's all gone," You whispered. "My home."

You turned around, making eye contact with the Witcher.

"We can go," You muttered, approaching him and allowing him to help you onto Roach.

"You'll be okay," Geralt muttered, one of his arms wrapping around your waist to hold you in place.

"I sure hope so," You said with a nod, as you settled back against him, and closed your eyes.

🏹 •

Nightmares. Fuck, they suck.

You kept having nightmares about your kingdom crumbling down the mountains, dragons screeching and blood. Lots and lots of blood.

It was a nightmare you couldn't escape. Everytime you closed your eyes, the nightmares kept coming back.

Your eyes suddenly opened, and you were met with the comforting eyes of the Witcher.

He gave you a gentle smile as you slowly sat up, leaning against the wood post that held up your little shelter.

"I sleep like shit too," Geralt said.

"I thought you don't sleep at all," You said.

"Makes for fewer nightmares," Geralt said, with a smile. "Except for the one about the rock troll. Overly friendly. Tough image to shake."

You smiled, looking down at your lap as you picked up a twig from the ground and twisted it between your fingers.

"What about yours?" Geralt asked, causing you to look up at him. "Your nightmares?"

"The Mountains are burning," You said, quietly, staring back down at your twig. "I'm too helpless to stop any of it."

"You escaped," Geralt added.

"I was lucky," You said, leaning your head back against the post, but then turning to look at the Witcher. "I...need to understand some things."

Geralt nodded his head.

"You found me with Ciznar, both of us nearly dead. You decided to trust me and take me in. Why?" You asked.