Chapter 1

In the middle of a long road trip to the small town of Wicked in the heart of Oregon, Thomas, and his twin sister, Teresa, sit side by side in the car. The landscape outside their windows is a breathtaking panorama of lush forests, rolling hills, and vast expanses of greenery. The siblings have been on the road for several hours now, and the excitement that initially filled the car is gradually giving way to a mix of emotions.

Thomas, a boy of around 15 years old, leans his head against the window, watching the passing scenery with a thoughtful expression. His hazel eyes reflect a combination of curiosity and apprehension about the destination ahead. The sun casts a warm glow on his short, tousled hair, and a few strands gently sway with the breeze of the open window. He wears a simple T-shirt and jeans, comfortable for the long journey.

Teresa, on the other hand, is a stark contrast to her brother's contemplative demeanor. She's bubbling with excitement, her enthusiasm contagious as she eagerly points out landmarks and towns they pass by. Her dark, curly hair dances around her face as she gestures, and her laughter fills the car with joy. She wears a colorful scarf that perfectly complements her vibrant personality.

As they approach the town of Wicked, a knot of reluctance tightens in Thomas's stomach. He knows this trip isn't just a casual adventure; it signifies a significant change in their lives. Their mother had recently made the difficult decision to leave her abusive husband, and Wicked was to become their new home. The memories of the painful past still haunt Thomas, and stepping foot into this unfamiliar town triggers a sense of unease within him.

Teresa senses her brother's uneasiness and reaches out to hold his hand, offering a comforting smile. "It's going to be alright, Thomas," she says softly. "We're finally getting away from all the bad stuff. Wicked might just be the fresh start we need."

Despite his reluctance, Thomas finds solace in his sister's unwavering support. He squeezes her hand gently, grateful for her understanding. The car pulls into the town of Wicked, revealing a place that appears quaint and peaceful at first glance. The main street is lined with charming shops and friendly-looking locals, and the distant mountains add a touch of beauty to the surroundings.

As they drive further into Wicked, Thomas notices a sense of community and camaraderie among the residents, and it starts to ease his apprehension. He begins to understand that this town might be a place of healing and growth for them all. Despite his reluctance at first, he realizes that coming to Wicked was the best decision for their family's well-being.

With Teresa by his side and the support of their mother, Thomas takes a deep breath, ready to embrace the unknown and face the challenges that lie ahead. The journey to Wicked was not just about reaching a destination; it was about finding a new beginning for all of them, a chance to heal and rebuild their lives together as a family.

-

As the car slowed to a stop, Thomas finds himself in front of a large and quaint, two-story, suburban house. Its exterior featured a welcoming facade, adorned with a white picket fence and a well-tended garden that burst with colorful flowers in the spring and summer months. The house had a classic design, with a sloped roof and large windows that allowed ample natural light to filter through.

As he entered the front door, he was greeted by a warm and inviting living room. The centerpiece of this cozy space was a majestic fireplace, crafted from beautiful stone and adorned with intricate carvings. He imagined that during the colder months, the crackling fire would fill the room with a comforting glow, providing a perfect spot for the family to gather around on chilly evenings.

To the left of the living room was the spacious kitchen, complete with modern appliances and ample countertop space for preparing delicious meals. A small dining area was nestled by the large window, offering a picturesque view of the backyard.

Venturing upstairs, he found three bedrooms, each with its unique charm. The master bedroom was generously sized, featuring a large window that overlooked the front yard, allowing soft sunlight to gently wake its occupants each morning. Adjoining it was a private ensuite bathroom, boasting a luxurious bathtub and a separate shower.

The two other bedrooms, slightly smaller in size, had been thoughtfully decorated to suit the needs and personalities of their inhabitants. One of them had been turned into a cozy home office, adorned with shelves filled with books and a comfortable desk for quiet study or creative work. Mine, Thomas thought.

The second floor also featured a shared bathroom, complete with a shower and all the necessary amenities for the family's convenience. A linen closet was conveniently placed in the hallway, offering additional storage space for towels, linens, and other essentials.

Stepping back downstairs and into the backyard, he discovered a small, serene oasis. A wooden deck provided the perfect setting for outdoor gatherings and barbecues during warmer days, while a well-kept lawn offered ample space for children to play or for a relaxing afternoon under the shade of a tree.

Thomas was already beginning to like this, weirdly named, town.

-

The first day in their new home brought a mixture of excitement and nervousness to Thomas. So, after an hour or so of unpacking, Teresa was somehow able to get Thomas, the introverted book need, to come outside for a stroll. She had a weird way to get Thomas to do what she wants. As they ventured outside to explore their surroundings, they noticed two boys playing basketball in the nearby park.

Thomas, being the more introverted of the twins, felt a tinge of shyness as he watched the boys from afar. However, Teresa, being her usual outgoing self, approached them with a friendly smile. "Hi, I'm Teresa, and this is my brother, Thomas. We just moved here," she said cheerfully.

The two boys looked up, their curiosity piqued by the newcomers. The first boy, a buff Asian who had pearly white skin - something that Thomas found intriguing, - had a contagious grin that instantly made everyone feel at ease. He had an aura of confidence about him, and his dark hair complemented his deep, expressive eyes. The second boy, a soft-skinned boy whose smile lit up Thomas's world, had a gentle and kind demeanor. He had sandy blonde hair that fell effortlessly across his forehead, giving him a laid-back and approachable appearance.

"Hey there! I'm Minho, and this is my best mate, Newt," Minho introduced them both, extending a hand towards Thomas. Newt gave a friendly nod and a warm smile.

Thomas found himself drawn to both Minho and Newt, feeling an odd sort of attachment to them that he couldn't quite explain. He usually took time to warm up to new people, but there was something about the boys that made him feel surprisingly comfortable from the start. Perhaps it was their genuine friendliness or the way they seemed so genuinely interested in getting to know him.