28

A few weeks after the start of summer, they had reached the point where they were able to adopt Evelyn. They were hoping that Emersyn would be out of the NICU by now but with no luck, they knew she would be there in spirit.

"Alright baby, let's get you dressed," She smiled, grabbing the cute dress they'd gotten for her to celebrate her adoption. It was a simple black shirt that said, "Get out of my way! It's my ADOPTION day!" With a little black tutu to match.

She got dressed herself and took Evelyn downstairs while Keith was making breakfast for the rest of his family.

"Happy adoption day, sweetie," Keith grinned, taking Evelyn into his arms as he cooked with one hand.

"What that mean, mommy?" Abby asked, sitting at the table as Kamryn did her hair in cute pigtails.

"It means that Evelyn is going to have our last name and officially be a part of our family," Kamryn tried to explain.

"So she'll be my sissy?" Abby asked, looking between her parents for an answer.

"She's always been your sissy baby. This just makes it forever," Keith smiled, winking at his daughter before handing a plate to Kamryn for Abby.

They all sat and ate before it was a drive to the hospital to see Emersyn, and then they would head to the courthouse.

They all quietly walked into the room, and Kamryn was able to get her little one out of the incubator so the girls could see her.

"Hi, Emmy," Abby whispered, looking at her as Kamryn held her down to her.

"Be careful, baby. Emmys still teeny tiny, and she doesn't have an immune system like you do," Kamryn reminded her, Sitting in the chair while Keith set Evelyn on his lap.

They stayed for a while, and Keith also got to hold Emersyn before they headed to the courthouse and waited to be called. The team had shown up, along with many people from 51 and Will and Natalie.

"Morrison," a voice said, making the whole family stand and head into the courtroom with everyone.

"Alright. We're here for a happy reason this time," the judge smiled. "Keith and Kamryn Morrison wish to adopt Evelyn Adkans. Is that correct?"

"Yes, your honor," they both answered as Keith held Evelyn between them.

"And Abigail, would you like a new sister?"

"Yes!" She giggled, holding her arms up to be held by Keith also.

Kamryn took Evelyn so he could, as the judge banged the gavel and signed the new birth certificate.

"Evelyn Adkans, you are now officially Evelyn Marie Morrison," he smiled, handing the paper to the bailiff, who took it to Keith and Kamryn.

They got some pictures with it and some that they could post without the birth certificate so they could post it.

Once they were all set and every bit of paperwork was filed, they headed back home, where they planned to celebrate the adoption with a small party in the backyard

Abby loved how many people she was able to see at once, and because it was at their home, she was allowed anywhere she wanted.

Hailey and Jay were the first to come and hold Evelyn, already loving on her beforehand. While they had her, Kamryn went to the bedroom to call their surprise guests and ensure they were on their way.

By some miracle, Kam had been able to fly Keith's parents out from Kentucky and have him not notice the significant withdrawal in their checking account. Thank god she took care of all their bills.

"Hi honey," Mary answered, seeing that Kamryn was calling.

"Hey, how close are you guys?" She asked, knowing that they had landed a half hour ago.

"We're turning on your street now," she smiled, waiting for her husband to find a parking spot.

"Alright, we'll see you in a few,"

"Alright, sounds good," Mary nodded, saying her goodbyes before they parked, and then they were in the backyard.

"Didn't your parents say they couldn't make it?" Kamryn asked, trying to contain the smile.

"Yeah, they had something,"

"Isn't that your mom?" She asked, pointing over to where his parents were on the deck.

"What?" He asked, looking over and smiling as wide as she'd seen in a while. "Mom!"

"Hi honey," she beamed, meeting him at the bottom of the steps and hugging her son.

"How are you here! You said you wouldn't be able to make it?!"

"Kamryn flew us out," she grinned, hugging him again before his dad did the same.

"You did this?" Keith asked, turning to her.

"I did," Kamryn beamed.

"I love you so much, honey," he chuckled, pulling her in tightly.

"I love you too," she grinned, "I'll go get Evey,"

As soon as Kamryn returned with Evelyn, she handed her over to Mary, who had the biggest smile on her face.

"Hi, sweetie," she beamed, putting Evelyn on her hip.

"Nana,"

"That's right, baby. That's Nana," Keith grinned, hugging his dad after a minute of watching his mom with their baby.

All in all, it was one of the best days in the Morrisons family, and they knew how blessed they were to have what they did.