Chapter 3

Anna and Bates went to the Abbey feeling very excited to tell the news. Anna decided that she would just tell Mrs. Hughes and Lady Mary first before announcing it. Anna asked Mrs. Hughes if she could speak to her privately. "Anna, is something wrong?" Mrs. Hughes asked with concern.
"No. Everything's perfect actually. You see I'm going to have a baby."
"Oh, I'm so pleased for you. But that means you'll have to stop work."
"Not right away. I can keep on working for a few months. And I don't want to tell the rest of the staff yet."
"Alright. But you should tell Lady Mary."
"I will."

As Anna was fixing Lady Mary's hair, she thought of how to come out with it. Lady Mary kept talking about how Edith was obsessed with the orphan that she had taken in.
"Anna, you seem to be very quiet. Is there something that you want to tell me?"
"Yes, my lady. I am with child." Lady Mary turned around from her mirror and looked shocked. It took Lady Mary a moment before she could speak.
"Anna, I am happy for you, but this does mean that it will be hard for you to continue working. I suppose that I could find someone from the village to watch your child during the day. And I can lessen your workload."
"My lady, I am very appreciative of the offer; however, I'm afraid that I can't accept."
"Why not? I could find someone reliable or even hire a nanny for you."
"My lady, I want to be with my child as much as possible. I want to see the first steps. I want to be there, when my child cries. Mr. Bates and I have been dreaming about having a child for so long."
"I see. And I'm a terrible person for letting a nanny raise my child. Right?"
"No, my lady. I didn't mean..."
"That will be all. You may go now." Anna left the room. Lady Mary was very upset because she didn't want Anna to leave. Anna had been with her for years and had always helped her through everything.