Chapter 8

Anna was busy fixing Lady Mary's hair. She worked quietly due to the fact that Lady Mary hadn't spoken much lately. Lady Mary was very upset about Anna's departure. "Anna, when is the child to be born?"
"The doctor says any day now, my lady. I should probably put out an advertisement for a new lady's maid."
"Of course." Anna continued to work silently. It was a bit awkward and uncomfortable to not talk like they used to.
"My lady..." Anna started to break the silence, "I have really enjoyed working here. And I will miss it here, and I will miss you."
"I wish you didn't have to go."
"I know, but I'm afraid I must."

Anna rushed downstairs after finishing with Lady Mary. She ran into Mrs. Hughes.
"Anna! You shouldn't rush down the stairs like that!"
"Yes, Mrs. Hughes. And I imagine Mr. Bates really would've scolded me if he saw." Anna laughed a little, "Mrs. Hughes, I need to find a replacement for Lady Mary."
"Well I'll help you do that later."
"Thank you, Mrs. Hughes."

Anna went and sat down in the servants hall. Mr. Bates walked in and sat by her.
"Do you remember the last hotel that we looked at?"
"Yes, did you buy it?"
"Yes! It'll be ready for us to move in soon!"
"That's wonderful!" Anna smiled in excitement. Mr. Barrow walked in.
"Mr. Bates, his lordship is asking for you." Bates got up and went to see to his lordship. Mrs. Hughes walked in and told Anna that she'd run to the village to place the advertisement. Mr. Barrow walked back upstairs. The servant's hall was empty, so Anna decided to read her book. Just as she opened her book, she felt a pain. She let the book fall to the floor. Anna then knew that the baby was coming. She didn't know what to do, since no one was in the servant's hall. She cried for help in hope that someone would hear her. Daisy rushed in.
"Are you alright?"
"No, the baby's coming! You must ring for the doctor!" Daisy ran to the phone. Mr. Carson said that he would go and get Mr. Bates. Mr. Carson rushed upstairs and ran into Mr. Bates, who was just about to come down.
"Mr. Bates, your wife is about to give birth!" Bates immediately rushed downstairs not caring if he were to hurt his knee. He found Anna in the servant's hall.
"Anna! Anna! Are you alright?!"
"The baby's coming!