Chapter 11

Anna and Bates were busy packing in their cottage, so they could move into their hotel soon. Hope was taking a nap while they quietly worked. "We've been working for quite some time," Anna noticed,"I better go check on her." Anna rushed upstairs, and saw Hope awaken. She picked her daughter up and walked downstairs with her, "Well she's awake. Maybe we should bring her to the Abbey today. Can you believe we're leaving this place?"
"I know. Let me see my dear little girl." Anna handed him Hope. He sat down as he held her, "Maybe we should go to the Abbey today. Then we can leave tomorrow."
"Yes, let's go."

Anna and Bates walked in the back entrance. They were greeted by Ms. Baxter, "It's so nice to see both of you! And what a lovely baby!"
"Thank you, Ms. Baxter," Anna said. Mrs. Hughes rushed to greet them.
"Anna, I'm so glad you got a chance to bring her before you left. Would you like to see Lady Mary?"
"I doubt she'll want to see me. She's upset that I'm leaving."
"I'm sure she'll want to say goodbye. I'll let her know that you're here."

After Anna and Bates chatted with everyone and enjoyed the complements on the baby, they got ready to leave. Just as they were exiting out the back door, Lady Mary approached them. "Anna, please don't go yet," Lady Mary said urgently.
"Of course not, my lady," Anna said.
"You have a lovely daughter."
"Thank you, my lady."
"I want to let you both know that I wish you the best of luck with your new life, and I hope you'll both be very happy."
"And I wish that you to find happiness in your new life as well," Lord Grantham said approaching them. All the servants gathered around in shock to see this kind of send off.
"Thank you, my lord. Anna and I have been through a lot at Downton. We've really appreciated our jobs and our time here." Bates told Lord Grantham. Lord Grantham shook Bates hand before they left. Lord Grantham and Lady Mary went back upstairs after their goodbyes. Mrs. Hughes seemed almost emotional to see Anna go.
"Alright everyone. Back to work," Mrs. Hughes announced. Everyone went back to their duties with a sort of quietness about them. It was probably because one doesn't meet people like Anna and Bates every day. The big house remained quiet for awhile downstairs.

Bates entered the train first carrying their child. Anna took one last look before entering the train. As they sat on the train awaiting their new life, Hope seemed to be at peace. She slept in her father's arms. Anna stared out the window. Bates grabbed her hand, and she smiled at him.