Chapter 5

Anna entered the boot room and saw Ms. Baxter. Ms. Baxter seemed very busy; she had a lot of shoes.
"Mrs. Bates, do you think you could go upstairs and fetch me some shoes that I left?"
"Normally I would, but I've only just been up."
"I know. I was only asking because I have so much work."
"Ms. Baxter, I might as well tell you. I have to take it easy because I am with child."
"Why Congratulations! And I'll rush upstairs and get the shoes now."
"Thank you." Anna took her time with her shoes, since she didn't have a lot of work to do. Lady Mary had been kind enough to lighten Anna's workload in her condition. Ms. Baxter came back with the shoes and looked rather overwhelmed.
"So how did Mr. Bates react when you told him?" Baxter asked.
"Like a child opening presents," Anna said while laughing a bit then she glowed a bit, "I suppose that's what the baby is...a gift to us."
"Well I'm very happy for both of you."
"Thank you."
"So are you hoping that it's a certain gender?"
"Mr. Bates and I will be happy either way, but I confess that I really want a girl eventually."
"So you'll be leaving service then?"
"Yes. And Mr. Bates will stay until we find a hotel."

Anna and Bates walked back to the cottage that night after telling everyone the good news. Bates was thinking that they should start looking at hotels soon. It would probably be better to get a hotel early.
"Anna, would you like to look at hotels on our next day off?" Bates asked as they entered the cottage.
"Of course," Anna said as Bates took her coat off for her, "But do you really want to start looking this early? I thought you might want to stay in service for a good while." Bates went to the kitchen to make tea before he answered her. She followed him into the kitchen.
"If I stay in service after the baby is born, that means that I'll only see you at night and on days off. That's it. But if we have a hotel, we can work together every day and raise our child together."
"I think getting the hotel early is a great idea," Anna said before walking up to him and kissing him, "I'm so lucky, you know."
"I see. And what makes you so lucky? Our child on the way?" he said while putting a hand to her belly.
"Yes, our child makes me lucky. And the father does too."