Chapter 9

Bates sat very close and watched Anna on the way to the hospital. "How are you doing?" he asked her.
"I'm in pain, but I'm excited at the same time..." she said with both distress and excitement in her voice, "Are...we almost..."
"We're almost there. Just relax." she nodded and attempted to smile through the pain.

They eventually arrived. Anna was already settled in the room. Bates paced outside frantically. He was very upset that he wasn't allowed in. Moseley arrived to support Mr. Bates.
"Don't worry, Mr. Bates. She'll be alright, and you'll be allowed in soon."
"I can't help worrying. I remember when Anna told me of what happened to Lady Sybil." he sat down and put his head in his hands.
"That was a tragedy, but we can't think like that. We must be strong and hope for the best."
"I can't help it. Anna is everything to me. And it's not like we've been very lucky over the years."
"Mr. Bates, you have been through a lot. I understand what you mean...a little. I too haven't been very lucky, but I've learned that I've got to keep going and hope for the best."
"You sound like Anna." Mr. Bates smiled halfway, "She's an optimist too."
"Well, I don't think that I would call myself an optimist." Moseley laughed.
"It's taking too long."

Anna lied in the hospital bed pushing and sweating. She wished so much that her husband could be by her side. She felt a final push. The baby was out!
"It's a girl!" exclaimed the nurse.
"Can I hold her?" Anna asked smiling and reaching for her daughter.
"I'll clean her up and then she's yours," the nurse said as she walked away with her daughter.

"Mr. Bates, you may go in now. You have a healthy daughter."