15 Always have, always will

Novalee POV

Why the heck couldn't I get this right? There was nothing wrong with me. I should be able to do this. I had been through worse crises before. Heartbreaks, pressure, fear of failure. All of that had always helped me play and write. But now? Absolutely nothing.

"Hey Shortcake. I'm here, baby girl." I heard Roman call from the doorway.

I turned around and saw him coming towards me with quick steps.

"Hey Ro. You're back already? That was faster than I thought." I replied as I smiled at him.

But it was a strained, sad smile. Of course, I couldn't fool him. He knew me far too well for that. I slid a little to the side on the bench to make room for my man. Roman sat down next to me and put his arm around me before he gave me a kiss on the temple.

"Still nothing?" he asked.

I shook my head, then closed the lid over the keyboard. My fingers gently stroked the cold, smooth wood.

"Don't worry... It'll come back to you. Probably when you least expect it. Trying to force it won't get you anywhere." he said softly as he pulled me close to his side.

"You're right. Probably not. The thing is, I just miss it. I want to play, but somehow I can't. What's wrong?" I replied before rubbing my hands over my face in frustration.

"Nothing's wrong. Maybe your mind just needs a break. And now I'm going to do my best to distract you. What do you say we cook dinner together?" he said quietly.

"Sounds like a plan. I've already taken the steaks out of the refrigerator. They should be room temperature by now. Why don't you fire up the grill and I'll make us some shredded carrot and apple salad?" I replied.

Then I got up and was about to go into the kitchen, but Roman stopped me. He grabbed my hips so I couldn't get past him.

"I promise you that you will sit here again and that music will always be a part of you, okay? Tell me what you need and you'll get it." he then said as he looked up at me.

I put my hands to his cheeks. My thumbs caressed the skin under his kind eyes.

"All I need is you. And I can't tell you how happy you make me." I replied in a whisper before kissing him lovingly.

*****

We spent a relaxing evening just the two of us. That was important for us because it was hard because Roman was on the road so much because of work. I should really accompany him more often.

While Roman snored softly next to me, there was no sleep in my mind. I stared at the ceiling. Somehow I wasn't the least bit tired. Sighing, I turned to the other side so I could look at Ro. Carefully I slid a little higher so I could touch his face.

Immediately a small smile appeared on his lips. He looked so adorable, so relaxed.

"Mmmhh.... that's nice... tickles..." he mumbled in his sleep.

"Sorry baby..." I said softly, pulling my hand back because I didn't want to wake him up.

"Nova..." he mumbled.

Was he awake or asleep? I could not tell. His voice sounded quite clear, but his eyes were closed.

"Yes?" I replied.

For a while he was silent. Probably he had sunk back deeper into sleep.

"I... love Nova..." he murmured so softly that I could barely understand him.

"What? Did you say you love me?" I asked, perplexed.

"Mmmhmmm..." he sighed and then turned to his side.

As if by itself, his arm wrapped around me before snuggling against me. Roman rested his head on my chest and it wasn't long before he started breathing deeper again. I, on the other hand, could now think even less about sleep. But this time for completely different reasons. 

Something happened inside me when I heard him say those words. An unknown warmth spread through me and everything in me began to hum. With my fingertips I followed the lines of his back while listening to his breathing. A new melody formed in my head.

Just at that moment Roman turned to the other side. This was a sign, I was sure of it. I quickly climbed out of bed and put on my bathrobe. As quietly as I could, I left the room and went downstairs.

I sat down at the piano and opened the lid. My fingers slid over the keys. For a moment I hesitated, but then I began to play. Never before had it bubbled out of me like that. Hopefully the sound dampeners were enough to keep Roman from waking up.

Note after note echoed through the otherwise quiet house. I was so absorbed that I perceived nothing around me. Only my music that finally surrounded me again like a warm blanket on a cold winter day.

*****

Roman POV

Yawning, I stretched and wanted to pull Novalee to me. But my hand met nothing but the abandoned sheet. I opened my eyes only to find that I was alone. Where could she be? After all, it was already quite late.

But then I heard it. Very softly the sound of piano music reached my ears. This could have only one reason. I smiled. It seemed that my Shortcake had found her way back to her passion.

I got out of bed and followed the sounds. The closer I came, the clearer it became. I paused for a moment at the bottom of the stairs to just listen. It sounded so soothing. Somehow warm and familiar. Even if that probably made no sense with music.

Quietly I stepped closer, but she didn't notice me. Nova was totally absorbed in her playing. Her fingers flew quickly and yet gently over the keys.

I stepped a little nearer so that she could see me. Hopefully she would not be startled. Slowly she came to the finale until she finally stopped playing and looked up at me.

She had the biggest, most beautiful smile on her face.

"That was beautiful, Shortcake." I said as I sat down next to her just like earlier tonight.

"Thank you.... I have only you to thank for that, Ro..." she said as she turned and beamed at me.

"I'm glad to hear that, but.... what exactly did I do?" I wanted to know.

"You told me you loved me." she replied softly.

"I... oh boy... that is so not the way I wanted to do this. I'm sorry, Nova. I wanted to make it special-" I began.

But Novalee wouldn't let me speak any further. She stopped me right in my tracks by kissing me. Slowly at first, then more intensely.

"I love you too, Ro." she then said against my lips.

"I love you, Shortcake. Always have, always will." I replied as I leaned my forehead against hers.