Six. Realize

Cameron

I was in the pool, staring at ceiling. This has been my place of peace for the last couple of weeks. I just float and stare the ceiling. I think about everything and I feel at peace here. Away from everybody and everything.

"Cameron Harris." I heard and went under water out of habit. I floated to the bottom before swimming to the wall and climbing out. "I thought you were hiding from me for a second."

"No. Habit." I said as I went and grabbed my towel.

"Let's go somewhere and talk." He said.

"Coach I-"

"I'm not asking." He said.

"Yes sir." I said and sighed.

Robert Thompson, my trainer, coach and mentor of five years. He recently just got back from vacation and made beeline to come see me. He texted me and let me know he was on his way.

"Cameron I want to start off by apologizing for not calling and-"

"Don't sweat it. I'm fine." I said and put my hands in my pockets.

"For not calling and pulling you out of that environment. That was my fault and I failed you as a mentor. I was on vacation scouting and training others. I'm really sorry." He told me.

"It's okay." I said and looked down.

"Cam I know you're upset about me having to move on to other clients. I'm still here for you. I'm just trying to expand my brand and thanks to you, it's bigger than I would have ever imagined. So thank you."

"Sure."

"Lily I'm trying to make sure you're okay. You've been my little star since you were in middle school, I was just a friend then. Five years ago I became your trainer, coach and mentor. That was one of the best things I've ever done. I saw that sparkle and passion in your eyes. You wanted it so bad. Most of the time you got it and I was there to witness it. No one can ever take those memories away. Especially not this one."

He pulled out his phone and pulled up a video before placing it on the table. I looked at it as tears fell down my face. It was the video of my last race. I broke the record and was named Ms. Road Runner by ESPN. They made it up just for me. When I ran across the finish line, I ran straight to coach Thompson and jumped in his arms. I cried as he told me I did it. He just kept saying I did it.

"We accomplished so much baby girl and I'll never forget all we went through. The cold and rainy nights. The times we cried, laughed, yelled, wanted to quit.. The times we celebrated. You have a heart of a gold and I don't want you to lose that passion you have just because you can't run anymore. I love you so much and I'm so very proud of you. You made it and to me, you will always win the race. Always."

I covered my face as I cried. I felt him sit next to me before hugging me against his chest.

"What am I supposed to do now?" I asked as I cried.

"You pick yourself up and hold your head high. This isn't the end. Only the beginning. I'm going to be here every step of the way." He told me and kissed my hair.

After leaving lunch with Coach, I felt a little better about my situation. My spirits were lifted somewhat. He made me realize that I could do whatever I need. Once I walked into my dorm, I saw Chrissy and her boyfriend having sex. I sighed before grabbing my backpack.

"Lily you said you'd be back later." Chrissy said as she used the sheets to cover up.

"That was at two, it's five. Don't worry. I'm leaving. Tell Camilla I went to the doctor and make up the other part." I said.