Asking

Maverick felt at peace while giving the women a tour; Iris and Jessica seemed interested. If the women agreed to accept rent, they would be closer to the pack; he and Rickon could visit them more often. Rickon, on the other hand, was a whole different story. Maverick knew that it was torture for Rickon not to be able to mark his newfound mate. The Beta knew the feeling; the urge to mark one's mate was strong, but he held himself. He was still getting used to Iris being his second chance mate and overcoming Ofelia's death. 

It had been an hour and a half, and the group had finished looking at the last apartment. "I love this one; it's spacious. What do you think, Iris?" Jessica asked.

"I like this place and how it's close to nature. While driving here, I noticed that there was also a small village nearby, so getting groceries wouldn't be a problem; the rent is cheap."

Jessica then crossed her arms and looked at the two men; Rickon's face lit up as his mate looked at him. However, her face became serious. "Okay, these apartments are very nice and are in a nice area. I can't help but be suspicious that these apartments are under a thousand dollars a month."

The werewolves looked at one another and then to Jessica. "I understand your concern, Jessica. My friend and I are partners in making affordable apartments, and we don't work with other companies that want to make a profit. We also work with people with personal and financial troubles. That's why we made it to help people; we have filled most of these apartments. The occupants will be moving here in a couple of weeks, some even sooner," said Maverick.

Rickon stepped forward; his eyes never left Jessica. He couldn't blame her for being suspicious of a good deal. He also couldn't deny that he admired her fiery character. "Jessica, please believe us that this isn't a scam or that we have ill intent. It will be your and your friend's decision if you want to live here. We can put two apartments on hold. Once you two feel comfortable enough, then you can move in."

The women looked at one another and then at the men. "I think that would be great," said Iris.

"Perfect, you ladies will have to fill out some paperwork, but you can read them first and give them to me by the end of the week. Would that be good?" asked Maverick.

The women agreed as they were led out of the apartment and into the main office, where everything was prepared for the new tenants. Maverick took out two contracts and gave them to the young women. While Maverick explained the contract to Iris, Jessica watched while hearing everything and stood apart while looking at the office. Rickon took this as his opportunity and went to her. "H-Hey. What did you think of the tour overall?"

This got Jessica out of her thoughts. "Huh? Oh, uh, it was pretty nice and informative. I know I sounded like a hothead, but I hope you understand my suspicion."

Rickon smiled as he put his hands behind his back. "No, I completely understand your views. Many companies and landlords are greedy and unreliable. My brother and Maverick want to change that as they want to build apartments for the people who can't afford to pay high rent."

"Oh, so you're not part of the business?"

"Yes and no. My brother gave me the position of landlord for this apartment complex. I guess my brothers feel that I have an outgoing personality. Although, I can be a jokester when I want to be." He noticed her giggle; it made his heart beat rapidly. "I-I was wondering, Jessica. I know we barely met, but you seem like an outgoing person. I was wondering if I could have your phone number, and we can go out for coffee sometime."

Jessica looked at Rickon and felt her heartbeat. It had been a while since she had been on a date. Her last relationship was two years ago, and she hasn't been on a date since. She couldn't deny that Rickon was good-looking. He held confidence, understanding, and some mystery. Jessica also felt an intense sensation whenever he was close to her; she had never felt something like it before. Although she tried to help her friend pass on from a traumatic breakup, it didn't hurt to go out occasionally. Jessica glanced at Iris and Maverick; they were smiling and talking to one another. Deep down, she missed having those feelings with a man. "Sure, I would love to."

The two took out their phones and switched phone numbers. "Perfect, there's a nice coffee place in the nearby village. I know the owners, and they make delicious drinks and desserts. I can pick you up from your apartment or any spot you like."

"S-Sure, you can pick me up from a library leading to the freeway. I will send you the address."

"Perfect  How about tomorrow at 1 p.m.?"

"Hmm, I have nothing to do, but I don't know if Iris wanted to do something."

"Do what?"

Iris and Maverick walked to the duo; Jessica blushed. Rickon noticed and chuckled. "Are you two doing something tomorrow?"

"No, why?" That was when Iris noticed her best friend blushing, and that was when she knew what was going on. "Oh, well, I have nothing planned. I was going to chill and look over the paperwork. Anyway, I will wait for you outside, Jessica." Iris and Maverick walked out of the office.

"So, it's settled  Tomorrow at 1 p.m.?"

"Sure, why not? I love to try new coffee." She was motioned out of the office, where Iris stood by the car. Everyone said their goodbyes. 

The men watched as the women drove away. "So, you asked her out. You're more daring than ever."

"Well, of course, the more she knows me, the better," said Rickon. "I don't want to be away from her."

Maverick nodded. "I know they will not refuse the offer; it's too good to pass up. I wanted to ask her again but didn't want to seem desperate. Anyway, there was something that I remembered. What about your FWB? You must break that relationship since you discovered Jessica is your mate."

"I know. I'm going to tell her that it's over between us."

"I hope that she takes it well. Sometimes there is nothing worse than a scorned woman."