Dinner

Iris and Maverick stayed with Asher for another two hours, but the child was still asleep, and it seemed it would stay that way. The doctor informed them that Asher would fall asleep once in a while since his brain was damaged. The couple were also informed that Asher would be discharged by next week. Once out of the hospital, Iris and Maverick got in the car; Maverick drove and then called Matthias to inform him they would be on their way for dinner. 

Iris couldn't get Asher out of her mind; seeing him in such a state broke her heart. "Matthias said that Laura and Jessica are almost done making dinner. You did beautifully with Asher. It will take a while for him to get used to us."

"Yeah, I can't imagine the pain he is going through, and what's worse is that he has no other family."

Maverick made a right turn leading to Matthias's house, farther from the pack homes. "I will take him in and take the responsibility to care for him."

The young woman felt her heart skip when she heard Maverick speak about family. She felt more attracted to him because of his love of family. "You mean 'we' will take care of Asher since you and I are...well...dating? We are dating, right?"

"Yes, or don't you want to date me."

"O-Of course I do!" She gently smacked him on the shoulder; Maverick chuckled. "Like I told you before, you are not doing this alone. We need to do things together no matter how hard they get. I feel that Asher will trust me a little more." The Beta drove to a nice paved road where the pathway had long and sturdy trees beside each side. It looked like a mini forest that had a path to welcome visitors. "Wow, it seems like you guys like living with nature."

"That we do. I guess you can say that it's part of our nature." Then, the couple saw a beautiful house at the end of the path. 

"Wow, Laura and Matthias have a beautiful house!"

Maverick parked his car, where he and Iris got out and motioned her to follow him. "They do. I also have my house nearby. We live in a small community, and many...people here don't like the city. They prefer somewhere more quiet."

"That's nice. I'm glad you guys have other people you can talk to."

Maverick knocked on the door and opened it. A heavenly smell greeted the couple; the food was ready. "We're glad that you two are back! Dinner is finished!" said Laura as she put the bowls and trays of food on the table. Jessica put the cups, forks, spoons, and plates on the table. 

Once inside, a soft sound of running feet approached them. "Uncle Maverick, you made it!" 

"Waylen, buddy! You're still trying to get me off guard." Maverick caught Waylen in his arms and gave him a quick tickle on his stomach. 

Iris smiled at the sight of Maverick and the child. "That's my son, Waylen." Matthias then walked beside Iris as he had a small glass of whiskey. "He tends to be energetic and quite a chatterbox." The Alpha ensured that he told his son not to say anything werewolf- or pack-related since their two guests were humans. He didn't want his young son to say something he shouldn't. 

"Well, he is adorable."

"He got that from me! Come on everyone, dinner is ready!" Everyone went to the long table where bowls and trays of chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, string beans, macaroni salad, and honey-baked ham were served. There were also bottles of wine, water, and a Sprite for the young boy. Everyone took their seats, and the couples sat beside one another while Rowan sat beside his parents. Everyone took the time to serve themselves.

Iris noticed Waylen looking at her, and she smiled. "Hey there. You are a pretty handsome little devil. I think you might become a ladies' man in the future."

Everyone chuckled. "I hope not. I want him to be a respectable young man as he grows up," said Laura.

Waylen still had his sights on Iris. "Are you Uncle Maverick's girlfriend?"

Maverick cleared his throat as he drank a bit of his red wine. "We're dating, buddy. We are taking our time and-"

"Oh, come on, Uncle Maverick! She's very pretty, and we all know how much you like her. You always talk about her every day!" The mischievous boy let out a long, cheeky smile while the others laughed; Iris and Maverick blushed. Iris was astonished at the boy's bluntness.

Laura sipped her white wine, amused with her son's antics. While everyone spoke, Matthias felt that someone was trying to contact him through mind-link, and he excused himself while he took the message. Maverick and Rickon noticed how Matthias's mood changed. The other men excused themselves. Matthias just finished with the conversation. "What's wrong, brother?" asked Rickon.

"I got word from a pack member that another body was found near a road that would lead toward our pack."