The Promise

Everyone was silent as Iris spoke out and volunteered to help capture Derek. However, Iris was surprised that she would volunteer to do a risky act. Before everything, Iris was washing the dishes while Laura and Jessica spoke to one another. While washing, she couldn't help but overhear the men speaking about a meeting, and when she heard Derek's name, Iris became engrained. After listening to everything, Iris was shocked; she didn't know what to think or feel. Derek kept the secret of his true identity from her, and she wondered if he would ever tell her. 

It didn't matter anymore since he cheated on her. 

What terrified her was the fact that he was the one who killed Asher's parents and other werewolves. When she also discovered that Derek was after her, it made her feel sick to her stomach that he dared to think she would willingly go to him. "Murderous bastard!" That was when the realization hit her: Derek was not going to stop his murderous rampage until he had her. 

She was the reason many lives were lost. Guilt overwhelmed her. Iris didn't want more innocent lives to be lost, so she decided that something had to be done, so she quietly went outside and volunteered herself. 

Maverick eyed her with frustration and worry. The shock eventually left, and his body trembled slightly. "You heard everything?"

"A bit, but enough to know that my ex is a crazy killer." Iris knew that Jessica and Laura were also listening to the conversation. However, they entered a room where they dropped off the boys so they wouldn't listen to the rest of the conversation. "If he's after me, I will volunteer to lure him to get him caught."

Maverick let out a low growl; his eyes slowly turned pitch black. "No! That is out of the question! I will not have you be put in danger! Go inside Iris!"

Iris was sick and tired of being put in the dark and having others do everything for her. She didn't want to be viewed as weak. She didn't want to feel like a burden. The young woman looked at Maverick, and her heart was beating rapidly. Iris no longer feared his kind and knew what she felt for him. "Maverick, I know you're scared for me. Trust me, I'm scared too. However, I am terrified that something may happen to you." She slowly walked towards him while Matthias watched; Jessica and Laura walked out of the room and went outside to see everything unfold. Iris stopped in front of him as she gently touched his face. "We need to work together to bring him down, Maverick. It's me he's after."

"So you think that I should just put you out in the open!? Do you want me to suffer the pain of someone else that I love!?" The Beta stilled when he realized what he had just said. Everyone was stunned.

Matthias realized that he shouldn't be out listening to their conversation. The Alpha walked toward his wife and Jessica. "We need to leave them alone. This is something that they need to solve on their own." He closed the door behind him and decided to see his son, but before he could go to Waylen's room, he felt someone trying to connect with him through mind-link. Matthias opened his mind-link, and soon enough, he heard jabbering and yelling; he knew who it was. "Rickon, please calm down. Take a deep breath and tell me what is going on."

Meanwhile, Iris and Maverick were still outside, looking at one another. The Beta, however, looked as if he saw a ghost. He admitted he loved her even though he promised to take it slow. Iris felt her being turning warm; he loved her. Tears formed, but she wiped them away. "Maverick..."

He looked away as he went and punched a nearby tree. "I-I'm sorry. It was too soon, but I can't have you be put in harm's way! I lost Ofelia, and I can't bear the thought of losing you too!" Everything was getting too much for Maverick. The memory of losing Ofelia was coming back to him; the pain and sadness were becoming too much. That was when tears formed and dripped from his eyes without realizing it. His body trembled even more; his legs wobbled so much that Maverick couldn't stand.

Iris watched everything unfold as she heard quiet, muffled cries. Her tears could no longer be held; she cried. It broke her to see him in such a state; she wanted it to stop. Iris immediately went to him and knelt beside him. Maverick looked away from her; he didn't want her to see him weak again. He didn't want her to think that he was weak and unworthy. Then, Maverick felt her small and soft hands motion his face back to her again. He tried to move away, but Iris used both hands to force him to look at her. Neither said a thing, but Iris moved closer to him until her lips touched his.

She kissed him.

Maverick was surprised by the action, and without warning, he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her onto him. He deepened the kiss. Iris then wrapped her arms around his neck; the two kissed passionately, afraid of ending it. They eventually had to end the kiss to regain their breathing; a hint of saliva dripped from the separation. 

"I-I love you too, Maverick." The Beta's eyes widened at her declaration. "Every time I am close to you, look at you, and speak to you, I feel complete. I feel that my heart is going to explode in happiness. Every time I'm not with you, I feel that a piece of my soul is gone." Her tears kept dripping down. "I never felt like this for anyone, not even for that bastard! You won't lose me! I know that you and Matthias will never allow that to happen! Please, let me help! Don't feel that you have to do everything on your own!"

Her words made Maverick's heart soar; she loved him. She declared that she wanted to be with him and accepted him. He still didn't want Iris to be at risk, but he knew she was determined to do whatever it took to capture her ex. Maverick suspected Iris would act alone if needed and didn't want that to happen. "Iris...you made me the happiest man and werewolf." He sighed as he wiped his tears away. "Fine. I realize that I'm never going to change your mind. However, you will follow what Matthias and I plan. You will not act out on your own. Do you promise?"

"I promise." She gave him a quick kiss; the two stood up.

Suddenly, the door opened, and Matthias immediately walked out; his expression looked grim. "Maverick, I need to talk to you alone."

Before Maverick responded, Iris walked forward. "No more secrets, Matthias. I need to be involved since I am Maverick's mate. If this is about Derek, then I deserve to know."

Alpha and Beta raised an eyebrow. Matthias was stunned, and he looked at his Beta. Maverick nodded his head. "Very well, then. I hadn't told Jessica and Laura this yet, but I got contacted by Rickon."

"Rickon? He's okay then?" asked Maverick.

The mention of Rickon's name made Jessica and Laura appear, but they stood by the door to listen into the conversation. "Yeah, but he had something to report, and it's not good."

"What happened? Did he get hurt?"

"Another victim was found not too far from our pack's tourist village, and I know that it was Derek's doing. There was a message that was found on the body, and it stated that he Iris was next." 

Maverick growled, but he tried to calm his rage. "Who was the victim?"

Matthias sighed. "It...It was Andrea."