Family

Family

A/ N:  Hello again everyone! Before you start reading this I just wanted to say that the italic bit in the beginning is a kind of prologue. Anyways, I hope you enjoy this. -R

"Are you happy?" Mark asked me. I shook my head. "No. I mean, it's not that I don't like you... I freaking love all of you. But it's just that... Everything feels so dark lately..." I sighed.

"It's okay. I understand." Mark said and he walked away like nothing had happened. I didn't bother thinking about it, though, because I was already thinking about other stuff.

 It was a dark December night and we were all having dinner in the dining room. I looked around me and noticed the darkness again. The black curtains were being forced to dance in the air because of the wind that was coming through the window. We had put a black tablecloth on the table and a huge candle in the middle. We had hung up various types of paintings on the dark brown walls, which you could barely see because of the darkness. We were all sitting in red, dark chairs; enjoying our meal. I looked at Mark who was staring lovingly at his wife. Then I looked at Glen, who was trying to tell Mark and Rina's kids to stop hitting each other. His own son, on the other hand, was playing with his food while his head was resting in the palm of his hands. I smiled. I am so glad that I can call this bunch of weird people my family.

After we had finished our meal, I decided to go for a walk. I was just about to open the door when I noticed it was stuck. I put all my weight against the black wooden door but it was all useless. "Glen, can you help me out for a sec?" I yelled and Glen walked towards me. "What's the matter?"  "The door. It's... stuck"

After one hour of trying to open the goddamn door, we finally gave up. Glen and I walked back to the living room. "Ok guys, we are stuck. The door won't open so we can't go out of here. Great." I sighed. I was just about to sit down on the couch when I heard loud noises coming from outside. It was thunder. "Mummy! Daddy!" Mark and Rina's children yelled in unison. They started crying and Mark and Rina brought them upstairs to their bedroom.

Just when I thought this couldn't get any worse, the electricity had stopped working. Just what I needed. "So... What are we going to do, then?" I sighed and nobody else knew how we would survive this night. It was only 6 pm.

"Ah, come on! Stop the negative thoughts! You can read a book, or play a game or play the piano or any other instrument. Enough options!"

"I like the latter." I said and walked to my beautiful, black, grand piano. I stroke the ivory keys with my soft fingertips and started playing it. I know the kids will calm down when they hear me playing the piano. They always do. I played the Moonlight Sonata. People usually don't think I like classical music, but, when I'm in the mood, I really adore classical music.

When I was done, I started playing another tune and Mark and Glen soon joined in with their guitars. Rina and Luke had also gathered around the piano and, like one big family, we were all singing along to an unknown song. We didn't even hear the rain and thunder anymore.

I was so concentrated on my piano that I hadn't even noticed that everyone had stopped playing and singing. I looked around and saw everyone looking at me. "What?" I asked. "Are you happy?" Mark asked me. "Yes, I think I am. Jamming with all of you and singing along and experiencing nice things with each other... It makes me feel happy." I smiled.

"Well, then our work here is done." Rina said calmly. I frowned. "What do you mean?" Glen grabbed my hand. "Danny... You were so depressed lately... Everyone around you had kids and a wife or girlfriend and you had nobody. So we decided that you needed a proper family. So we built ourselves: the perfect family. The perfect family you never had. And we only had one goal: to make you happy. And you just confirmed that we have reached that goal so our job here is done." Glen said. Wow. Wait, what? I wanted to say things but my mouth was dry and I had run out of words. This can't be happening, right? I was just about to ask them all kinds of questions but before the first word had escaped my mouth, Luke suddenly started to crumble. And not just Luke: everyone else was crumbling too. What the hell is happening? Am I dreaming? I kneeled down and clenched my fists. Big chunks of porcelain were lying on the floor. I picked a little chunk up and held it in my hand. This used to be my family. My family! And now they're gone! I dropped it and the chunk fell to pieces.

"WHY ME?!" I yelled. I didn't feel the need to run upstairs because I knew the same thing had happened to Mark and Rina's children. I sighed and felt the tears sting in my eyes. I guess I'm not allowed to be happy after all.