13.

October 2034

ELLA

By the middle of October, Ella felt like she and Logan were sort of friends. Friends who only talked twice a week and only in one specific setting, but still friends.

It had really started when, maybe two weeks in, the little first year that sat on Ella's other side in choir (her name was Libby, Ella had learned) had been so overwhelmed trying to understand all the different types of notes and had asked so many whispered questions that Ella had finally pulled a page out of her notebook and started drawing little pictures of whole notes and quarter notes and dotted half notes and labeling them each with the number of beats they received.

Logan had watched her curiously while the bass and alto sections sang through their parts together (they had a complementary harmony that Professor Whitby wanted them to hear without the melody line so they could see how the pieces fit together).

She passed the paper over to Libby when she had all the symbols she could think of, including rests, and tried to turn her attention back to her music, but then Logan reached into his bag, pulled out his own notebook and ripped out a page.

You're passing notes and I feel left out, he wrote, and passed the paper over to her. Ella smiled to herself.

Would you like a handy guide to music notation, too? she wrote back.

I think I've got that covered, but you can write me coded messages in the form of music notes.

Ella read the line as he wrote and frowned.

"I'll give you an example," he whispered, just as Professor Whitby asked the sopranos to add in their part with the basses and altos.

Ella knew the music well enough at this point to sing with her focus half on Professor Whitby's direction and half on Logan who was currently scribbling out a music staff and marking in notes.

He waited until Professor Whitby cut them off to pass it to her, and Ella was just about to start interpreting what he'd written when they were asked to sing through the section altogether. She had to abandon it for the moment to focus, but she was so curious.

As soon as Professor Whitby stopped to run back through a sticky spot with the tenors, Ella looked down at the note.

He'd drawn in the notes F-A-B   D-A-D.

Ella pressed her lips together to stop from smiling too much.

My dad? she wrote back.

My favorite teacher and my favorite class. You write me one.

So Ella drew her own staff and tried to come up with a message of her own, but she couldn't come up with anything that actually made sense, so she just wrote: