What's That Noise?

I used to babysit, until the incident.
It happened at Kira's house. Her fiance decided to take her out to dinner and a movie. Of course I was the one she called to babysit her nine year old son, Kyle.

I've babysat him before. Dinner at 6, meds at 8, bed at 10. Kyle took medication for bipolar disorder. I felt kinda bad for him being so young and yet being bipolar. I was to watch him until they got home, Kira promised she would be home around Kyle's bedtime.

That evening, after I gave Kyle his medications, he went upstairs to hide in his make-do tent. (A sheet over a bookshelf and a dresser.) Not more than an hour had passed when there was a loud bumping against the back door. I was startled, but thankfull Kyle wasn't down there; he would've panicked. I looked to the back door, making sure it was closed. It was. The bumping was getting softer, so I decided not to go in to further examination.

The bumping noise completely stopped by the time Kira and her fiance arrived home, which was 9:30.
They thanked me and gave me a ten dollar bill, which Kyle had incidentally drawn a crooked line across in red crayon. The design looked unique, with a little loopy curl at one end. I collected my bag, while deciding to save this ten dollar bill for good luck. My car was parked beside the house, which was near the back door. We said our last goodbyes and I left, happy about the night.

I looked back at the house and a scream stuck in my throat. Kyle, now motionless, was swinging lightly in the wind, a looped internet cable wire wrapped around his neck.