Welcome Home Commander

phillip graves x gn! reader

angst to happy ending, uses of pet names, swearing

wc: 870

₊°✧︡ ˗ ˏ ˋ ♡ ˎˊ ˗

Another knock on the door.

It was getting really annoying at this point. Ever since Phillip Graves was announced officially KIA, your neighbors had taken it upon themselves to bring over food and check on you. Sure, the gesture was nice but for one night you just wanted to be left alone. It was a lot, the rumors, the news articles, everyone had an opinion about Phillip, and somehow no one thought to ask you about your own husband. Here you were again, making your way back towards the door ready to accept the Tupperware that would end up sitting in your fridge for the next few days until it was time to throw it away.

Using the sleeve of the oversized hoodie, you wiped the sleep from your eyes preparing yourself for another disgustingly awkward "friendly neighbor" interaction. It was Graves' old sweatshirt, which had become your uniform at this point with how much you wore it. Everyone told you it would be best to phase out his belongings so you didn't have the "constant" reminder in the house, but something inside you wouldn't allow it. You left everything the way it was the last time he was home. The day he left for deployment.

Opening the door, you braced yourself for the overly cheery neighbor who was about to completely disregard anything you said just so they could check off their good deed of the day. Not even looking up from the floor, words you had uttered too many times to count fell from your mouth, "Just leave it on the porch next time it's okay," they never listened.

"The porch huh?"

Your eyes flashed up quickly at the sound of a deep Southern accent. This was a dream, you were dreaming, maybe it was from the lack of sleep. Not a dream, a hallucination, yeah that's what this was.

Phillip Graves. He was home, and not KIA like everyone including the Shadow Company told you.

"What the fuck," was all that you could say. Your brain could not compute what was occurring in front of you, how was he here? Hot tears began to stream down your cheeks, your body frozen in place looking at Phillip in front of you. He looked exactly the same as when he left, how was that possible? He was untouched beside the scar that stretched across his cheek that he had always had, the one you kissed a thousand times. You could see the tears welling up in his eyes as he stood there, duffle bag hanging off his shoulder.

"Can I come in? Please," his demeanor had shifted, dropping the cocky act he had approached with. Still unable to form a complete sentence, you stepped aside letting him through. It was still his house after all. This all felt out of body, Phillip was home. Shutting the door, you stood watching Graves set down his duffle and kick off his shoes. He was quick to notice how you were observing him, like if you looked away he might disappear. "You okay darlin'?" That fucking nickname, you thought you would never hear it again.

"Stop it, Phillip," he looked confused, "I thought you were dead," tears were still flowing down your face, blurring your vision slightly. There was an obvious tone of frustration, sadness, and confusion all mushing together in your voice. Graves' brow furrowed, he stepped closer trying to comfort you but you stepped back.

"I'm sorry,"

"How?"

"How? How what?"

"How are you here Phillip, everyone told me you were dead,"

"I wasn't in the tank, I made it home, I needed to get back to you," his voice was soft just like how you remembered. "No one knew, I was supposed to be in there but..." he trailed off, crossing his arms as he recounted the memory looking deep into your eyes. This time you stepped closer, placing your hand on his bicep, rubbing it slowly. Phillip was hurting just as much as you.

"I missed you, I missed you really fucking bad," Phillip nodded, uncrossing his arms. Pulling you into him and letting your head rest on his chest. His arms wrapped around you tightly in a hug. All the emotions that had been bottled up since you first got the news began to flood out. Phillip Graves was safe, and he was home.

"I missed you too doll," his hand stroked the back of your head comforting you.

"You know, I have a million questions,"

"I know baby, I know," there was a pause between the two of you, a comfortable silence as you stood in the foyer in each other's arms.

"Don't leave me ever again," it came out muffled as your face was buried deep in Phillip's chest.

"Wouldn't dream of it," he chuckled, tightening the hug briefly before pulling back slightly to kiss your forehead.

"Good," you smiled slightly as Graves wiped a tear off your cheek. Leaning up your lips finally met his after being away for far too long, melting into the kiss and allowing yourself to unwind in his arms. Pulling away only to catch your breath, you rested your head back on his chest taking in the feeling of having him back, "Welcome home Commander."

₊°✧︡ ˗ ˏ ˋ ♡ ˎˊ ˗