Slayer Squad Hunt

As soon as classes resumed the following week, Cody started taking the pills Scott gave him once daily. He also made sure no one--not even Milo--saw him take a pill, so he took it once every morning before class and even hid the bottle in his pillowcase. When he started taking them, Cody wanted to see how the pills' effects made his blood turn red, so he turned his right hand into talons and used his thumb to slightly nick his left arm. To his surprise, his usually-black blood came out red as a drop of it fell into the sink. Then, the small cut he made on his arm quickly closed up as if it never happened. After that, he decided to ask Scott about it once school was done for the day, and when he did, the response he got was, "The person I got it from said that when the pill takes effect, your blood will use the oxygen in your body as a filter so it changes color."

The classes continued with Mr. Kim's lectures on different types of Eldritch and how to survive a fight against them, while Emma's PE class became more challenging every day. But then, a month passed, and Xander made an announcement one morning as students had breakfast.

"Good morning, students of DEA Academy! This is Xander Swanson speaking," Xander's voice said through the speakers. "It is now September, which means one thing for this year's freshmen. As you all know, Slayers must know the value of teamwork when they are fighting an Eldritch. That is why DEA Academy is again starting our annual Slayer Squad Hunt event! Starting today at lunch and throughout the entire week, freshmen must come to the auditorium to join a squad of their choice. We will see you there!"

Once the announcement was over, the students in the cafeteria clamored in excitement. Meanwhile, Cody was looking up at the speakers as he raised an eyebrow before turning to look at Milo, who had his hands on top of his head. "Is something wrong, Milo?" he asked.

"Ah, I always forget that event is a thing!" Milo exclaimed. "Alma would always remind me of the Slayer Squad Hunt every year before I started coming here and it's finally beginning for all freshmen, us included!"

"I suppose this Squad Hunt is important?" Cody asked.

"It's very important, Cody!" Milo smiled as he stood up from his seat. "Everyone knows that a Slayer shouldn't work alone, and this is our chance to show everyone here at school and DEA what we're made of! Isn't that great?"

"I guess so." Cody shrugged.

"You guess so?! Cody, I've been wanting to be a Slayer my whole life, and you want to prevent people from losing friends and loved ones the way you lost your friend! Your fellow orphans would be so proud of you! Hell, I bet they'll even want to be like you, and now we're gonna have a taste of real action! The upperclassmen will show us the ropes! US! Cody, we're going to the auditorium today at lunch, and we're going to join a Squad together!"

"Uh, okay. Let's go!" Cody nodded.

"Yes! That's the spirit!" Milo brought his arms upward. Then, he looked at his friend and said, "Also, your knife is poking your hand."

"Huh?" Cody looked down and saw the tip of his knife poking into his left hand. Pulling the knife away from his hand, he looked at the small cut he accidentally made, watching as it slightly bled red. As he saw it, Cody sighed as he was grateful for how fast the pill's effects are.

"I'll be right back. I'm gonna get you a napkin." Milo walked away from the table to the food to get a napkin.

While he waited, Cody didn't realize that someone from another table was watching him. Said someone was Lucien, and he was sitting next to the blindfolded white-haired girl. With a smirk, Lucien stood from his seat and turned to look at the white-haired girl. "Contact the others. We're going to the Squad Hunt."

~~~~~

As lunchtime came, every freshman in the academy made their way to the auditorium for the Slayer Squad Hunt. The auditorium was crowded, but it wasn't enough to fill the entire building. Many first-years were walking around as they approached booths that had handwritten signs hanging from one side of the table, stacks of paper, and clipboards. Within those booths were groups of older DEA Academy students who are upperclassmen, all with leaders who gave a freshman a clipboard with a paper form.