Apprenticeship

After returning to the academy, Cody and Milo parted ways with Lucien, Pearl, and Lynn and went to their dorm. When they arrived, Milo went straight to the bathroom to shower, leaving Cody alone as he sat on the couch. As he heard the sound of running water from the bathroom, the dark-haired boy reached for his phone to call Scott. He felt the need to tell him about his day, even the part where Gus Aldine offered him an apprenticeship. When Scott finally answered, Cody told him everything that happened, adding as much detail as possible.

"You met Gus Aldine today?" Scott said as soon as Cody finished.

"Yeah." Cody nodded. "I met him when the others and I were visiting Tilly at the hospital. He said he knew who I was and what I did as a Slayer-in-training."

"I see."

"There's something else, too," Cody continued. "Gus wanted me to be his apprentice."

"What?! An apprenticeship?!" Scott exclaimed. 

"Yeah, an apprenticeship." Cody leaned on the right armrest of the couch.

"What did you tell him?" Scott asked, eager to know.

"I didn't give Gus an answer yet. I told him I wanted to talk to you about it first. But when I mentioned you, he called you Bloodhound. I was confused until he told me it was your nickname."

"Oh, yeah, that. I earned that nickname when I was in DEA Academy myself," Scott explained.

"How did you get it?" Cody asked.

"When I first started going on missions, I started using my ability to hunt down Eldritch and search for missing people. I did that every time I was called over for an assignment. I used my nose so much that I earned a spot on the Hero's Board."

"You were on the Hero's Board?" Cody was astonished.

"Yeah," Scott chuckled. "Not to brag, but as a student, I was so popular that all the girls wanted to date me."

Just like how everyone showered me with gifts when I got on the Hero's Board... Cody thought. I wondered how he handled all that back then...

"Anyway, about that apprenticeship offer you received..."

"Oh, I wanted to talk to you about that! When Gus asked me to be his apprentice, I was surprised and a little confused. I didn't know Slayers could have apprentices. Is it even allowed?" Cody raised an eyebrow.

"It's allowed," Scott said. "If a Slayer wants to take in an apprentice, they have to speak to DEA's higher-ups first. Of course, they have to explain why the Slayer wants a particular student as an apprentice."

"What are the common reasons?" he asked.

"The Slayer will want an apprentice because the student has a similar ability as them, they show plenty of potential, or the student is struggling and the Slayer wants to help. What was the reason Gus offered an apprenticeship to you?"

"He said I had potential."

"Exactly! Gus believes you got what it takes to be a great Slayer!"

"I suppose." Cody shrugged. Then, he asked, "Have you ever taken an apprentice, Scott?"

Scott's breath hitched in response. The dark-haired boy could tell from his reaction that he was shocked to be asked such a question.

"Uh, Scott?"

"Uh..." Scott winced and a tapping foot was heard.

"Are you okay?" Cody asked as he was now concerned. "You sound...uh...hesitant."