August 13th, Seventh Period

Lance yawned and departed his 6th grade class, migrating a few halls to the History block of classes. Finding the class taught by Mr. Reed, he poked his head inside, glancing around before sitting down at a righthand desk. Mr. Reed came into the room a few minutes later and tapped something on the computer. A seating chart popped onto the whiteboard and Lance winced. He was at the very front of the class, in the leftmost seat. He moved grumpily and shifted uncomfortably in the new seat. He needed to sit on the right, and in the back. Had to. It was a compulsive desire. 

     He squirmed uncomfortably, before resting his head on the desk with a sigh. He noted the people trickling in. Some were Freshman who hadn't taken the class yet, others were juniors or seniors who'd failed. Lance had taken full-year history his freshman year, so he was taking A and B now. Lance spied, with dread in the pit of his stomach, a scrawny, red-headed junior. The junior looked small and helpless, but Lance had personally seen him while wrestling. That red head could take down someone twice his size, and very easily. His name was Eric Blane. Eric commanded a sort of gang within the school, mostly of jocks and other sporty people. At first he seems intimidating (especially with that dog-bite scar on his cheek) but in reality he's incredibly nice. He usually gets into a fight once a year just to keep his reputation upheld. So far no one has attempted to usurp his throne. Eric glanced at the whiteboard where the seating chart was projected, and Lance registered that Eric Blane, The Eric Blane was going to sit next to him. The idea terrified Lance. Even though Eric had a fearsome reputation along with his teddy-bear one, that kind of person was the person to bully Lance for everything he'd ever done.

  Eric trudged over and discarded his black backpack on the carpeted floor, sliding into the red seat next to Lance. Eric's crimson curls were messy and scattered against his forehead, they were nearly long enough to be considered a mullet. If werewolves were real, Lance imagined Eric would look like one.

  Another slightly known junior entered the class, before glancing around and walking out against. 

   "Must've had the wrong class." Eric stated, tapping his foot against the floor. 

    "Yeah." Lance replied.

     "Well, since we're seat partners, I'm Eric Blane, but I doubt you haven't heard of  me." Eric said, extending a freckled hand.

     Lance shook. "Lance Green." He replied. "I doubt you have heard of me."  Eric shook his head. "Nice to meet you, though." 

"Likewise." Lance stated, just as the bell rung. He despised the sound of the bell, not only was it too quiet, but it chimed thrice instead of once. It was so incredibly unnecessary. And earlier the PA system had gone out of whack and it sounded like god damn aliens were invading the school. Lance yawned again and shoved the thought of the infuriating bell to the back of his mind before dropping his head back to the desk as Mr. Reed began his lecture.

   The speech was the same as all other teachers' opening addresses on the first day. They covered the same rules ten million times and never bothered to discuss other things. In Lance's opinion, they should each be assigned a school-wide rule to talk about, then they talk about that rule and then their own classroom rules. It was simpler and more effective. Lance would swear on his life that this school was dysfunctional. 

   Mr. Reed droned on and on saying 'yeah' at the end of practically every sentence. Lance was seconds from falling asleep when the principal (one of them) came onto the PA. 

"Hello students, this is your sophomore principle, I'm here to tell you that the busses depart from door 86, near the gym, thank you." The principal turned off the PA, there were still three minutes of class.

  Lance sighed. He didn't know why they needed a principal for each grade, or two vice principals, and then an actual principal. It's like the Queen Of England, why do they need her when the pope is doing all the work? She's a figurehead. Lance grabbed his bag and pulled it into his lap, waiting for the bell to ring again. Finally it did and he was out the door in a flash, hand shoved into his pocket to retrieve his earbuds, which he put in, selecting a playlist without looking. Welcome To The Black Parade by My Chemical Romance  was playing as he was jostled by the crowd, still trying to get down the stairs. He switched playlists, it was too early to be that depressed. Instead he selected his main playlist and Green Mountain State by Trevor Hall began to play. He made it outside and walked to where Ty was. The ginger was easy to spot considering  their flamboyant and colorful style, not to mention they were a redhead. 

   Ty waved and scrambled over to hug Lance. Ty was one of the few people Lance would let hug him, for all others touching was extremely off limits. There was a honk and Lance spied his brother in the pick up line. Marcus Green's car was an old convertible that looked straight out of the 80s. Its green exterior had a light brown cover/top. Marcus honked again and he and Ty meandered over, Lance taking the front seat.

———————

All the problems the school has in any of these chapters, are inspired by my real school.

Anyway, be sure to comment and upvote!

Word Count: 946